Body Butter Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsHearnie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a newbie & have just purchased ingredients to make my first body butter. I have done a forum search & can't seem to find a basic starter recipe that works with what I have (or rather I'm not sure how to use what I have to get the best out of it)

So, I have shea butter, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, vitamin e oil, macadamia oil, sweet almond oil & FO. I'd like a basic recipe to follow & add different oils or omit the different oils etc. so maybe a percentage recipe as a guide? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I can't speak for anyone else, but for my own body butter, I like to use a ratio of 70% butter to 30% oil.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but for my own body butter, I like to use a ratio of 70% butter to 30% oil.

IrishLass :)

This is what I use as well. I tried 60/40, but I like a thicker butter.

I cannot say enough good things about this blog. I don't know if you are interested in an anhydrous body butter (no water) or a very thick lotion (often called body butter in high end shops). This is just a sample entry. Poke around and you will find answers to lots of questions.

The author also sells e-books that compiles blog information in a more organized form on hair products, lotions, etc. Proceeds go to support youth groups.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2 ... dy_31.html

Great! Thanks so much for the replies :) oh & yes! I remember looking at that blog once a while ago & forgot about it! Will definitely go back & look! I'd like tho for no water & just keep it more simple for myself for now

My basic recipe is 70% butter, 25% oils, 2% cyclo, 2% IPM, 1% Vit E. I've gone higher on the butter % but it hardens too much and doesn't stay soft and whippy.

The cyclomethicone and IPM helps make the butter more "glidy" and helps cut some of the greasiness out of it. You can definately make it without these..

I'm looking for more info on cyclomethicone. I came across some for free and wanted to see how much to add to lotions and other products. Any ideas? Is it safe as an additive in any amount? I'm also looking for a lotion recipe using polysorbate20 or 80. I'm going to give it a try! I've only been making body butters. Since I have the ingredients I'll try it.

I'm looking for more info on cyclomethicone. I came across some for free and wanted to see how much to add to lotions and other products. Any ideas? Is it safe as an additive in any amount? I'm also looking for a lotion recipe using polysorbate20 or 80. I'm going to give it a try! I've only been making body butters. Since I have the ingredients I'll try it.

Here's a link to swiftcraftmonkeys blog -
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/better-crafting-through-chemistry_14.html

Lotion link - http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com.au/2009/03/lotions-emulsification-whats-that-then.html

One of my favorite "recipes" for body butter is simply whipped shea butter. I mean, just plain shea butter, whipped for about 20 minutes. It's awesome- even on my face. I don't heat the shea butter at all (as it can turn grainy), just use a mixer and let it go.

Another body butter I like has a combination of cocoa butter and shea butter for the butters, and then some sweet almond oil and jojoba for the oils. It does clog pores on my face, but is very nice for the body.

Yooper, I made a body butter very similar to the one you are describing above, but put cocoa powder and peppermint essential oil in the mix. I cannot stop slathering it on myself! It is so wonderful!

Irishlass, can you share a body butter recipe please? And how many __oz jars it will fill?

Thank you.

Kathie

This is very good starter...I have made it twice....
318 g water
45 g shea butter
38 g cocoa butter
23 g e-wax
23 g stearic acid
5 g preservative
5 g cornstarch (optional)

absorbs very quickly and no greasy feeling...

Laser, I am researching butter body lotions. You have 5 g of preservative. Does this have a name for the preservative?? And I was going to buy tapioca powder instead of cornstarch. And could I split this batch and scent with different scents? How much EO or FO do you scent with?

Sorry for all the questions.

Kathie

Back