first CP recipe question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaelily

Reaction score
good morning everyone! I've been playing around with SoapCalc and was wondering if I'm on the right track. First, I found a box that I'm going to be using for a mold and according to a thread I read here, I would need 26.25 oz. of oils. Using the lye calculator, I went by the default for water and superfat..and entered my oils.

For the recipe, I was sort of basing it on recipes I found on this forum- lard, CO,OO,castor oil...BUT...I have avocado oil that I would like to use up. Here is what I came up with:

lard 50%
CO 25%
avocado oil 15%
castor oil 10%
(no FOs or colorants)

Am I on the right track with this? I have some sweet almond oil on hand too, but was trying to keep my first batch as simple as I could get. I would appreciate your thoughts! :)

You are! But...I would add some olive in there and drop the CO.

lard 30%
CO 15%
Olive 40%
avocado oil 5%
castor oil 10%
(no FOs or colorants)

Phew! Thank you...I was hoping I was doing it right. I was trying to make the percentages of oils all fit within their recommended ranges (which I did but the ratio was 47:53).

I was wondering about the OO, but my thinking was that since I'll be using avocado oil then I wouldn't need it. :wink: I punched in the percentages you recommended and I see the conditioning # went up..yes! :) Thank you so much!! Can't wait to get started!

I always start with four oils...

Palm (or lard or tallow)
Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Castor Oil

Then to these I add whatever butters or soft oils I want. But I always have my base oils the same.

I do play around with different percentages. More olive you get more of a smooth (sometimes slimy) lather. More coconut oil and you get more bubbles but it's more drying. You just have to play around with it.

Back