cp shaving soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnie brown

Reaction score
i have been trying to make a cp shaving soap have made 5 batches so far and all but the last one has been bath soap the lather has faded fast, on the last batch i put this in it
lanolin 5 oz.
palm oil 5 oz.
tallow 25oz
cottonseed oil 15
olive oil 10 oz.
coconut 76 deg. 10 oz.
castor oil 10 oz.
avacado oil 1 oz.
3 table spoons of bentonite clay
now that i have found this fourm i can find out what i am doing wrong,first off palm oil and tallow is the same so i can cut the palm out, and i have read this on here that olive oil is a lather killer so do i cut the olive oil down or do without . any help please

Tallow and Palm oil are the same??? I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong cuz remember I know nothing but isn't tallow beef fat? Palm oil a vegetable oil? Big difference to me.

Tallow, Palm and Lard are very similar in the finished properties they impart to soap. I use them interchangeably in my recipes...depending on if I want a vegan soap or if lard is okay to use.

Ronnie, I would REALLY cut your recipe down on the different types of oils you are using as well as the recipe size. I would do a 2 pound batch.

Stick with palm, tallow, olive oil, coconut, castor and maybe one of the fancy oils...avocado maybe.

YOu can also add a bit of sugar to your lye water to add bubbles.

I use maximum 5 different oils in my recipes, depending on what kind of soap I want. Lesses oils, easier to find out how the oils react in a soap. What is it that you don't like about your soap? Is it the lather issue? Read about the different oils and what they do in a soap, and you will find out your favorite shaving soap recipe.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back