The competition

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maria

Reaction score
Saturday before last, the local Green Market started up. Last Saturday, a customer mentioned to me that they bought a competitor's soap who claims their soap is not made with lye. I think it is poor business practice to make ridiculous statements like that to people to deliberately mislead them. I went to their website and it is melt and pour soap as they put glycerine base on the list of ingredients.

How about this, arguably melt and pour is not actually "soap." depending on the brand it may simply be a detergent plus glycerin. It may also contain all those unnatural things we try to avoild like SLS and other ickies. For example one brand:

Glycerin, propylene glycol, sodium stearate, sodium laureth sulfate, sorbitol, coconut oil, sodium myristate, triethanolamine, sodium laurate, sodium cocoate, purified water.

Granted, some M&P contains actual soap, and those have ingredients listing lye (sodium hydroxide) as a saponifying agent.

No Lye? No soap!

People are ignorance, they think that if it was made with lye it will eat their skin off, not knowing that there is worst things in M&P.

I wouldn't sell something if I needed to lie to people to get them to buy it and I think it speaks to the character of that company that they need to. I did say if it truly wasn't made with lye, it isn't soap. The customer said the bar dissolved in a week. I googled the company and noticed there have been complaints about various customer issues. I am starting to think competition like that is the best kind to have.

Maria said:
Saturday before last, the local Green Market started up. Last Saturday, a customer mentioned to me that they bought a competitor's soap who claims their soap is not made with lye. I think it is poor business practice to make ridiculous statements like that to people to deliberately mislead them. I went to their website and it is melt and pour soap as they put glycerine base on the list of ingredients.

It's sad but she likely doesn't even know that she's wrong. Many people jump in to business way before they know what they are talking about.

If you sell your products make sure you know your stuff and can educate your customers about it. I found writing out a Frequently Asked Questions paper to prepare yourself for selling is a great tool....you can even have it as a handout for customers.

She might not be wrong. The glycerin base might not contain soap. It might be glycerin and industrial degreasers and detergents. Propylene Glycol and Sodium Laureth Sulfate and all that. No soap involved. No lye needed.

I would think, though, that for the FDA protections as SOAP it has to contain primarily alkaline salts of fat and lye as the primary detergent.

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceCo ... 074201.htm

I think that what they are selling, might very well constitute a DRUG or COSMETIC. Someone might want to check their labeling and even get the FDA involved. I am not suggesting you rat them out by calling in the FDA to remove competition, but examine your own ethics, and if you feel the public is being harmed it might be a moral imperative that you do so.

Here is an excerpt:

How FDA defines "soap"

Not every product marketed as soap meets FDA's definition of the term. FDA interprets the term "soap" to apply only when --

* The bulk of the nonvolatile matter in the product consists of an alkali salt of fatty acids and the product's detergent properties are due to the alkali-fatty acid compounds, and
* The product is labeled, sold, and represented solely as soap [21 CFR 701.20].

If a cleanser does not meet all of these criteria...

If a product intended to cleanse the human body does not meet all the criteria for soap, as listed above, it is either a cosmetic or a drug. For example:

If a product --

* consists of detergents or
* primarily of alkali salts of fatty acids and
* is intended not only for cleansing but also for other cosmetic uses, such as beautifying or moisturizing,

it is regulated as a cosmetic.

If a product --

* consists of detergents or
* primarily of alkali salts of fatty acids and
* is intended not only for cleansing but also to cure, treat, or prevent disease or to affect the structure or any function of the human body,

it is regulated as a drug.

If a product --

* is intended solely for cleansing the human body and
* has the characteristics consumers generally associate with soap,
* does not consist primarily of alkali salts of fatty acids,

it may be identified in labeling as soap, but it is regulated as a cosmetic.

I emailed them asking for a full list of ingredients. The reply came back that they try to list everything on the label but sometimes certain oils are left out. I emailed again asking what are the ingredients in the glycerine base and goatmilk base.
I didn't include a link in a forum because search engines pick up on that. I don't wish them any trouble. I really think they have little chance for success between the somewhat deceptive labeling and negative customer feedback I found. I also came across an ad looking for affiliate sales where they described their soap as something that only lasts a week or so and the only way to get more is through them. Who would want more?

I still contend that if they say there is "No Lye" then it does not meet the definition of SOAP and will need FDA regulation as drug or cosmetic.

Latest posts

Back