FO per Oil Weight Or Total recipe Weight?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeDee

Reaction score
Hi! I am going to try my first batch of CP today.
I ran my recipe through the Summer Bee Meadow soap calculator.

My question, the ammount of fragrance oil you add, is that based on total oil weight or total recipe weight?

Thank you!

Have fun with your first batch!

Most fragrances are usually around .7 PPO (Pound Per Ounce of OIL). It's a good place to start and then in further batches adjust up or down as you like.

Just a thought, but sometimes it's good to make a small unscented batch to begin with, just to know how the oils act, what trace feels like and how the pour works, what thickness is easiest to work with. Of course I say that and then I turn around and scent EVERYTHING, just be sure you use a scent that won't speed up on you!

Oh, and post pics!

Thank you Deda!

Oh I will post pics! Well,,if its not a disaster anyways :)

I think figuring out how much FO to add is the hardest thing for me to grasp! I also use 0.7 oz ppo and it seems to work out no matter what. I take notes on the FO and put "right amount" or "add 1 oz next time"...and then I try to judge the strength of it versus the next FO I'm going to use. I've seen some FO sites actually tell you how much to use in CP soap, but I forget which site. I've also read that if it's a weak FO you can use 1 oz ppo.

I scented my first batch, but did research to make sure the FO wasn't going to do anything weird. It was so much fun smelling blueberry crumble in my soap! I wanted to eat it. :D

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back