EO infused oils for soap scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have more rosemary and lemongrass than I know what to do with, I can't even GIVE it away anymore! I've been on the fence about buying a distiller. I can, however infuse oils. Any thoughts on using this in soap? Would it retain its scent do you think? Has anyone tried??

You can certainly use infused oils. As for scent remaining, I’ve not had any survive the process. It takes a whole lot of material to distill your own. You could certainly give it a go if you have that kind of material to distill.

I'm at the point of making large piles of the lemongrass and not knowing what to do with it. I sure hate wasting it... it's overwhelming!!
I wonder if I superfat an infused oil at the end???

It's all flowering/seeding right now, if anyone wants seeds (or lemongrass!) let me know!!

I'm at the point of making large piles of the lemongrass and not knowing what to do with it. I sure hate wasting it... it's overwhelming!!
I wonder if I superfat an infused oil at the end???

It's all flowering/seeding right now, if anyone wants seeds (or lemongrass!) let me know!!

I'd love some seeds, or a rooted clump of lemongrass!

I've tried using a very strong coffee infused oil as a superfat added at the end of a HP batch. The scent still did not survive, not even faintly. :(

I am of the opinion that it takes a huge volume of plant matter to infuse oil (or wax, like for an absolute). The volatiles that are collected using oil/wax are not entirely the same ones as extracted during distillation.

Shame I'm not near you - I'd take a clump of lemongrass ... it's beautiful in a tea. I currently make do with my lemon verbena, but (although it's good) it's not the same at all!

It's a shame that it doesn't seem to work that way, I DO get it. I guess I might have to finally invest in that distiller, my biggest problem is where to keep it, and I guess time to mess with it!!

Kittish and saltedfig, pm me your addresses and I'll send you some clumps and/or seeds. Maybe it can be grown indoors as well

I would donate it to a food bank. I bet some of their customers would enjoy fresh herbs!

Also, perhaps try infusing oils and making a lotion or a lip balm

That's something I hadn't thought of!! I've been wanting to try a body butter!! THAT might work?

I planted it, and the rosemary, years ago at school (I always do gardens with my students) and both have just gotten out of control!! I sent all of my students home with Rosemary wreaths at Christmas, mailed many large bags to a friend who infuses olive oils, and there is still so much!

Thanks for the lovely offer, but I'm in Australia, so I can't take even the seeds (quarantine restrictions, they scan for organic material).

I do appreciate the thought, thank-you.

It's a shame that it doesn't seem to work that way, I DO get it. I guess I might have to finally invest in that distiller, my biggest problem is where to keep it, and I guess time to mess with it!!

Kittish and saltedfig, pm me your addresses and I'll send you some clumps and/or seeds. Maybe it can be grown indoors as well

PS. Could you post photo's of your distillation setup, if/when you set it up? I like a good still photo :mrgreen:

Back