Gosh, I'm annoyed today! Scammed online

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spenny92, Please follow up with your local authorities and file a complaint. You may not be his only victim. If there is an investigation into his activity, you may the "straw" that puts the fraud loss over the investigative threshold. Here in the U.S., the U.S. Attorneys of the various jurisdictions set the prosecutorial guidelines for federal cases (FBI, ATF, U.S. Customs, etc). If there is not an accumulative fraud loss of X amount of money, they will not prosecute.

It is difficult to get fraudsters prosecuted by local jurisdictions, because they tend to cross so many jurisdictional lines, which is why fraud cases usually are prosecuted in the federal court system. However, by filing a complaint and getting the name of the "bad guy" in the police records, the name is now searchable. Your complaint will be added to others and a higher likelihood of prosecution will occur.

Sometimes, here in the States, even if the amount of loss does not meet guidelines, the number of victims may force the prosecution's hand. (One victim and $100,000 loss is a great case. However, 100 victims and $100,000 loss is an even better case, even though the average loss is only $1,000.). I hope this makes sense.

If you haven't already, you should check to see what federal agency in NZ handles financial fraud and Internet fraud. Once you file a complaint with your local police, you should contact them with the info as well.

Good luck! (Post puppy pics!)

Sorry Teresa, I'm not sure why I didn't see this earlier!

You're right, and I'll look into it. I just don't want a whole lot of trouble, if I'm honest. I live in a tiny, rural community and everyone knows everyone. We're new to the area, and he and his family are locals. I know it doesn't make it any better, but I'd rather avoid any unnecessary trouble. :thumbdown:

Puppy photos coming up... :-D

Latest posts

Back