When someone calls you an "old lady" for making soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 22 too (for another month... boo!) and I think it's just one of those silly, stigmatized things. I love floral patterned clothing and brown brogue shoes, and people are always telling me that I "dress like an old lady", or because I treat my cats like my babies, I'm a "crazy cat lady". But as soon as spring arrives and floral patterns are "trendy", suddenly I'm oh so "fashionable"!

Just ignore it. Too many people, especially younger people, seem to be hobby-less and that's cool. I think finding a hobby that you love is something to be proud of. Old ladies rock!

I am a proud crazy dog lady, I think everyone in my neighborhood recognizes me b/c I walk the pups so much. I'm sure if they knew I made soap they would think I was even more old-ladyish. Don't really care, though. I could be infamous for many worse things :)

I get teased a lot about Fight Club soap, which for me is for some reason REALLY annoying. I just come right back and say that I have a recipe for such a thing, and probably the means to acquire the required materials, but that's all the information they are getting.

I say it in an extremely serious manner and usually by then they are squirming uncomfortably, sorry they asked.

But of course, we all know I'm an odd duck on some days. The moral of that story is that if someone's giving you a bad or malicious vibe, smart alecky, hateful, whatever, you always have several choices in dealing with it. I try to choose humor and a little grace. I kinda like to watch people squirm, too.

I've also worked with mainly men and mainly women, and I have to say I prefer to work with mainly men. Overall, they are more simple and just easier to work with. Once you have their loyalty, man, you've got it, and they have your back for anything. Women in the workplace can be a totally different story. (At least from my experience.)

This thread is a little old and I didn't really want to revive it. But... I feel I am compelled to now when good insight has been provided.

What you wrote is so true about men and women. I've been working there now for a year and that happened maybe 3 months in.

I'll give an update I guess!

I switched positions about 2 months ago. I was working production on the night shift (12 hours, 6 pm to 6 am) as a quality control technician right before I went to my new position. The last night on the old job I had gizzly men out in the chemical production area stopping in saying that they were very sad to see me go. And telling me they liked me alot!

On Friday, I spoke with one of them again (I work in research and development now) and he said I was one of the best quality control technicians and I wouldve become "one of the sisters" (his words) had I stayed in my previous position. He said so many incredibly encouraging and wonderful things. I walked away from that conversation almost teary becasue he was so kind.

I realize that there will be people who will always say things that aren't exactly kind. But they don't matter. Especially when everyone else around you only has good to say.

He seems like a sad boy in general and wants to have life handed to him. He doesn't really understand how to talk to people and is passive aggressive. Overall not a person I want to hang with. Every other person I've met at the plant site has been fantastic.

Thank you all for the support. I think some of you have changed the way I look at people.

Last edited:
Soaping doesn't make you an "old lady." Neither does knitting, crocheting, quilting, needlepoint, baking or any other variety of hobbies, crafts and artistic endeavors there are. What makes you an "old lady" is your attitude. I've known old ladies that were only in their teens and I've known women in their 80's that will never be old. Age is not a number (or a hobby, or the number and type of pets you have), it is an attitude.

Back