Calamine powder in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugar_soap

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone tried to add calamine powder to soap? Does the colour change or will it stay a nice pink? Had an idea for green tea, kelp and english rose soap (sounds weird but I love to experiment) and want a nice green/pink colour for it :)

I've never seen calamine powder, but it's just a mixture of zinc oxide (which I love) and iron oxide, so my guess it that yes it would probably retain its color.

Try it!

i have heard of other soap makers using the powder with no problem .... just got to get your ratio right

I also love rose clay in soap. Hopefully you are going very light on the kelp since it is quite pungent. Not sure how kelp will go with a rose fragrance if you are using fragrance. I do a mix of citrus and salty air fo's help mask the kelp fragrance. Kelp just does not grow near roses... Just a thought. Of course I do not know what your kelp smells like I only know my kelp powder is very strong fishy and would really fight with rose.

I have used calamine, but the stuff I had was very pale pink and it didn't show up very well. I was going for a pale grey (charcoal) and pink combination. I will see if I can look up some pics. As other people suggested rose clay might give you a better pink.

I plan on making calamine soap today. 64 ounces of oils/butters. 4 pounds so I’m thinking 6 tablespoons plus rose clay for a pop of color. What scent would be best?

I guess it depends whether you like the smell of calamine lotion, which I do!! The dominant scents in the calamine lotion of my youth is camphor and menthol. I would absolutely stick with the original. White chocolate mint? Eucalyptus, peppermint and black spruce would be lovely.

If you don't like calamine lotion smell... It's natural to lean towards the pink clay and rose angle, but I can't stand artificial rose scent. Maybe fresh strawberries?

Back