Soaping nightmares... Literally

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numbers

Reaction score
Anyone else ever have bad dreams about horrible things happening while they are making soap?

I just had one about lye. It was spilled all over the kitchen and my lye water container was filled to the brim and bubbling and vapor shooting out of it. I could feel the vapors burn my nose and face. My gloves had lye in them and I burned my fingers so bad the flesh was fused together. I was yelling at my sister to bring more vinegar but I was completely out. And the worst part is things just kept getting more chaotic. Suddenly the sink is filled with dishes and people are all over the kitchen doing whatever... Eating, running water, ... Etc. I'm yelling at them to stay away but no one seems to understand the danger...

I sound like a nut job...

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

No, my nightmares about soaping have not been THAT bad. We bought a house in August and have been busy trying to get the nasty critters out of here. I dreamed I cut into a loaf of soap and it had dead roaches in it. YUK!!!!!

P.S. You might want to invest in a gallon of vinegar, just for peace of mind!

Yikes! Roaches crawling out of your soap would be a nightmare.
I have 3 gallon size jugs of vinegar I got from SAMs and I always keep my spray bottle filled and right next to when I make soap just incase. I think I am just stressed because I'll be attending my first craft show this Saturday and I'm nervous.

I've heard that it's not the events in our dreams or nightmares that matter (In this case, soaping) it's the FEELINGS that accompany the events that are important. In this case, it would be feelings of not being in control. (Lye everywhere, bubbling batter etc) feelings of being overwhelmed, (people everywhere, things getting more chaotic, etc) maybe feeling overworked or stressed or maybe there's something in your life where you feel you aren't being listened to. (people weren't listening to your warnings about the lye). Think about if you can find anything in your awake life where you might be feeling those feelings, or more importantly where you might be ignoring or disregarding those feelings. Your subconscious doesn't let go of those feelings, but carries them over into your sleep-state. Identify what it is in your life that make you have those feelings. Those kinds of dreams can be recurring for as long as those feelings persist in one's awake state. Maybe it could be something like issues with one's boss or stress at one's workplace or something as "simple" as stressing over getting Christmas plans done in time. It could be anything at all. The nightmare is just a placeholder.

The same goes for the dream about the bugs and roaches. In your awake life, you are probably worried or concerned or maybe even a bit fearful over them and therefore, those worries or fears carry over into the dream state. When the bugs are gone, so will the dreams about them be.

That's my take on it, anyway. :)

Yikes! Roaches crawling out of your soap would be a nightmare.
I have 3 gallon size jugs of vinegar I got from SAMs and I always keep my spray bottle filled and right next to when I make soap just incase. I think I am just stressed because I'll be attending my first craft show this Saturday and I'm nervous.

LOL! Your post identifies the issue! It's because of stress over the art show! I had started on my reply a while ago and have been away from the computer too, before i posted and I hadn't seen you had gotten a post in ahead of me! :lol:

Yes it's definitely a control issues. I didn't even realize I was that worried about the show until I had that dream. Also today I decided to make a big batch of Castile so it will be ready in the spring and I kept looking at my lye water as it was sitting in the same spot on the counter as in the dream... o_O

In my case it is the stress of trying to fix up the house, work full time-plus (I teach 4 year olds in public school so I HAVE to be prepared!), AND still find time to make soap. Add some minor but irritating health problems and I just can't get it all done!

Numbers, good luck in your craft show!

Numbers good luck today!!!

Ruthie I can certainly partially identify. Work, work, work YIKES that all I seem to do (10-12 hr days). Sounds like your new home is going to be a chore. Are you fixing it up yourself(s)?

Kazmi, yes. At least the cosmetic stuff. We have a good plumber and electrician who are quite helpful. We've also cut down trees ourselves. Lots of work but I am enjoying it. Think DH is too.

Latest posts

Back