Question on paper to line wooden molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjalex

Reaction score
I would like to know if the paper most of you talk about is the one I buy in rolls to use in the oven under the food to avoid the help me wash the mess afterwards (english not my lang).

If this is so, would it be a good idea to build a wooden mold that had the internal length just the same size of the papers roll width so I could very easily line the three internal long sides with just one tear of the roll ?

Would it be a problem to leave the two short walls unlined ?

Could using formica (hope it's also the right word in English) on those two sides and/or smearing them with oil before pouring be a solution ?

Thanks

Do you mean parchment paper? Some people have mentioned using parchment paper which is used for baking. I don't know how well it would work as a liner since I haven't tried it. I use freezer paper which is shiny on one side. The shiny side is what is against the soap. Do not use wax paper! I tried it and the heat from gelling caused the paper to adhere to the soap. It was horrible. I had to peel the wax paper off and it kept ripping into thin strips. I finally gave up and just cut the rest off with a cutter.

As for leaving a couple of walls unlined. I think since you'd be pouring unsaponified mixture into the mold, there would be the possibility of some free oil soaking into the wood. These could make your soap lye heavy or cause the wood to break down over time if the lye was also soaking in. I also think some of the soap would seep underneath the paper. I think it's best to line.

I'm not sure if you can use formica. You might find this discussion helpful in making a decision.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=39242

Have you considered buying silicone baking mats or silicone fondant mats and creating your own silicone liner? I've been thinking about cutting a fondant mat to make a rectangular liner. I have the Wilton Graceful Vines and I thought it might make a really nice liner. My idea was to cut it and then seal the seams with silicone. The problem is finding the time to do it.

You could also make liners from silicone.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKClapkhZxo[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good suggestion. I'd forgotten that Uline sells freezer paper rolls. But do they ship overseas? Also, wouldn't the shipping be really expensive?

NEver seen freezer paper in my country and even after some searches I'm under the impression it doesn't exist here. Wax paper I doubt so the paper I use in the oven muct be what you call parchment.

Will look into the silicone idea.

Thanks a lot.

When I was using a mold that required lining, I used baking paper, rjalex ....... (It was the closest I could find in France.). So you may want to look at that as an option.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Saswede my European neolatin friend ! I think we share the same environment :) Yes I think what I tried to describe could be called baking paper ! Will try then. Thanks.

NEver seen freezer paper in my country and even after some searches I'm under the impression it doesn't exist here. Wax paper I doubt so the paper I use in the oven muct be what you call parchment.

Yes, I apologize. It is called parchment baking paper. :oops:

has anyone ever tried the paper loaf pans for baking breads as a mold or liner? just wondering if they'd work or not.

I just bought some small hexagonal card/paper baking molds too! (Plan to make some new honey soap soon.) So if you try the bread ones, it would be great to hear how it goes.

I just bought some small hexagonal card/paper baking molds too! (Plan to make some new honey soap soon.) So if you try the bread ones, it would be great to hear how it goes.

Ok, so they work fairly well -- BUT they have slightly slanted sides. So your soap will also have slanted sides, smaller at the bottom, bigger on top. This is more pronounced if you fill it to the top.

Also, I let my 2nd batch gel, and it is filled to the top, and although these molds can go up to 450F, with hot wet heavy batter, the sides needed a bit of support in the middle to keep from bowing out. I just put a soup can on either side under the towels to give the sides support.

If you had a wooden or plastic mold or a metal loaf pan and used these as liners instead of freezer paper, they'd work awesome! For me just figuring things out, they're just fine, as I'm not ready to worry about perfect shapes yet lol.

How do you do that Pepsi Girl? Sounds great! I'm sick of cutting freezer paper to fit!

I bought a large sheet of it and cut it just like I would freezer paper to fit the mold. I'm out of town right now but when I get home I'll post a picture, if you'd like. I also did one mold with just the long sides and bottom in one piece and then loose end pieces. It easy!

Oops try again!

Hope this helps!

2013-10-19_15.26.01.jpg

2013-10-19_15.29.06.jpg

2013-10-19_15.30.04.jpg

Pepsi Girl -

Awesome idea and thanks for sharing. Having to line wooden molds is the main reason I switched to silicone. I prefer wood since it insulates better and I'll have to give this a try.

Latest posts

Back