Weird dotts soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sexymess

Reaction score
Here are the pictures of the weird dots this has never happened before. I poured some into silicone muffin holders and one doesn't have the dots. I put this shampoo bar right into the frezzer. I added, coddled egg yolk, and 2 tsp kefir. Also my oils were infused with rosemary, basil, marjoram, nettle and sage. I used half water Half aloe juice. And had ground flax steeping in the aloe, which I strained out. It is suposed to be a bar for curly frizzy kinky hair. My daughter is allergic to everything. I wanted her to have something nice for her hair. Sigh. Too advanced? I watched soaping 101 shampoo bar about 20 times and then while I was getting my oils ready /setting up I had it on in the back ground. Does anyone know what happened? Will we be able to use these? I don't really care how they look. Iam not selling them to anyone.

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0604.PNG

Thank you. Mine are starting to go away?? I don't know what it is or why but I guess we will see in a month or so. I guess I need to just know if it will be safe to use. I thought it would be a lot harder, the bar with the bees wax. Oh well.

Is it safe to use? Technically, yes. However, it has an awful lot of coconut oil, which is not the best for the scalp. Most people can't even tolerate that much on their skin without higher superfat. Your intentions are very good for your daughter but you need to do more research on shampoo formulations (and probably stay away from lye shampoo).

The high coconut oil, water and and additives likely led to overheating or otherwise funky chemistry. It is best to keep things a little simpler in my opinion. I like using a few additives too, but usually just one at a time. It seems all of that just eggs soap on to rebelling (pun intended).

I have never made shampoo bars before, but I had a similar issue one time with a batch, and I am sure it was because I soaped at a very low temperature. I went to do something else, and being winter, they cool off real fast.

There is nothing wrong with the bars, except they look funny. My family used a couple of them already.

Is it safe to use? Technically, yes. However, it has an awful lot of coconut oil, which is not the best for the scalp. Most people can't even tolerate that much on their skin without higher superfat. Your intentions are very good for your daughter but you need to do more research on shampoo formulations (and probably stay away from lye shampoo).

The high coconut oil, water and and additives likely led to overheating or otherwise funky chemistry. It is best to keep things a little simpler in my opinion. I like using a few additives too, but usually just one at a time. It seems all of that just eggs soap on to rebelling (pun intended).
I thought the lye was all gone after the saponification? No? Then every thing I have learned is a big fat lie. We have used shampoo bars before and we are trying to be a plastic free family. This just isn't my night. I'll never ask for advice here again!!

I have never made shampoo bars before, but I had a similar issue one time with a batch, and I am sure it was because I soaped at a very low temperature. I went to do something else, and being winter, they cool off real fast.

There is nothing wrong with the bars, except they look funny. My family used a couple of them already.
Thank you, really. From one frustrated woman, Thank you for your kind words. :sad:

I thought the lye was all gone after the saponification? No? Then every thing I have learned is a big fat lie. We have used shampoo bars before and we are trying to be a plastic free family. This just isn't my night. I'll never ask for advice here again!!

Whoa pardner, I didn't explain very well. Yes, the lye is used up - that's not the issue. Soap has a high pH which works well with skin but is not great for hair. And 40% coconut oil can dry out thick skin let alone thin scalps.

There are many threads here with cautions about bar soap for hair, here's one to start:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60808

Whoa pardner, I didn't explain very well. Yes, the lye is used up - that's not the issue. Soap has a high pH which works well with skin but is not great for hair. And 40% coconut oil can dry out thick skin let alone thin scalps.

There are many threads here with cautions about bar soap for hair, here's one to start:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60808

We've used them before and we really like them but I guess what you're trying to tell me is that I should have superfatted it higher I can't read between the lines I'm sorry if I seem rude but I've only been soaping for six weeks so one of my recipes bars we are using and I have 11 more curing and to read that I have been doing it wrong is very disheartening. Thank you for the link I will go and read it

Latest posts

Back