Brewer turned soaper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum. You can use some of your home brew to make beer soap, which usually has fabulous lather.

When I first read this, it sounded completely unappealing to me. I like beer, a lot.. but the thought of rubbing it on myself as a soap and smelling like a human brewery didn't seem so great. However, after some reading through a few of the threads on the subject here, I realize that beer soap is actually something I not only want to try, but am now looking forward to doing so eventually.

So thank you, lsg! And thank you to the handful of others who made this recommendation as well. You've given me some great ideas and helped me set some goals for after I progress beyond the basics, I truly appreciate it!:D

I used to frequent homebrewtalk too and almost opened my own brewery before my s.o. talked some sense into me.

Now I make soap every weekend.

From what I've seen so far, soap making is easier and also more difficult than beer making. It's way, way, way easier to mess things up, and you have to actually get into the science, but there are a lot less steps, equipment and time commitment involved, so you can practice more often.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions you might have.

I think every homebrewer must have this dream at one point or another. I too thought about that often and actually had an opportunity come up to partner with a guy who had already started the process of getting his license and permits, etc. I ultimately decided against it though because the last thing I wanted was to make brewing, which at the time was pretty much my only hobby, feel like work. :lol:

I always get a bit nervous when a Newbie has been surfing the web for information on soapmaking.

That's understandable, especially since many will be dealing with caustic chemicals (sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide) for the first time. And, while this isn't the case for me, I still realize that using lye to make soap IS something that is new for me, and so I will learn as much as I can about the process before I begin as well as take all necessary precautions and utilize proper PPE when handling and working with/near these chemicals as I would any caustic. I appreciate your concern and any reminder of safety will always be well received here. :)

EDIT - PPE = personal protective equipment, just in case anyone wasn't sure.

... I ultimately decided against it though because the last thing I wanted was to make brewing, which at the time was pretty much my only hobby, feel like work. :lol:

Exactly!

I've been around the online brewing communities since the early 00's and have seen several of my friends make the transition, running the gamut from guys who went on their own with 30bbl systems to one who graduated from Siebel and worked for Sierra Nevada. Without exception, they stop brewing at home and stop the experimentation and "playing around" in favor of brewing successive batches of their stable beers that sell. They all still like their jobs, but they lost their hobby for sure.

Not to mention that, as they say, the way to be a millionaire brewer is to start with a million dollars. :mrgreen:

Hello! You sound like me. I found out about 3 years ago that I had developed an allergy to hops :thumbdown: and went looking for a new hobby. I've still got $3000 worth of brewing equipment in the garage that I haven't been able to bear parting with (I could still make a Berlinner, damnit!) but now soaping stuff has begun competing with it for space, and I think this summer is when the brewery dies. On the plus side, I have, conservatively, 150 bars of soap curing and about 8 more scent samples queued up to try. :D

So welcome to your new addiction. You've definitely found the right place to get the real info. DeeAnna is our John Palmer and Jamil rolled into one. Hang around here and you'll be making awesome soap in no time.

As for scents, I recommend Nurture where you can get samples suitable for 1lb of soap for about three bucks. I've recently tried 16 different scents for less than $60.

And when you're ready to try a beer soap, skip the beer and use wort. Pre-boil if possible to maximize proteins (for silkiness). I've posted a couple long posts about my experiences using beer and hops that might help you, or just ask.

Have fun!

Haha, yeah, I try not to think about how much money I've spent on brewing gear over the years... *eyes the electric 30 gallon 3-vessel Stainless Steel brew rig with Tri-Clover plumbing which is currently collecting dust in the garage* :oops: Speaking of, if anyone wants to get into brewing in a big way, let me know! :lol:

Thanks for the tip on using wort instead of the finished beer, makes it much easier that way! I'll definitely be looking into those posts as well, and probably have a few questions once I get to that point I'm sure! Thank you!

Not to mention that, as they say, the way to be a millionaire brewer is to start with a million dollars. :mrgreen:

Haha, too true. I'm friends with a few of the local brewery owners and brewers here, and they have expressed similar sentiments. It's especially tough for those in states where craft beer isn't big and things like self-distribution aren't even an option (fortunately these are things we don't have to worry about here in California - which almost begins to scratch the surface of making the cost of housing seem a little better. :lol:)

I think every homebrewer must have this dream at one point or another. I too thought about that often and actually had an opportunity come up to partner with a guy who had already started the process of getting his license and permits, etc. I ultimately decided against it though because the last thing I wanted was to make brewing, which at the time was pretty much my only hobby, feel like work. :lol:

I had a line of credit approved and almost signed a lease, so it wasn't a dream per se to me, but a way to monetize a hobby and get out of the toxic work envrionment I was in at the time, but the financial stability just wasn't there for at least 10 years (if the venture was a success, that is).

Latest posts

Back