Insomnia Soaping?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity
Reaction score
I often have waking insomnia, leading to my being awake but not necessarily feeling refreshed at 2 or 3 in the morning... And then ready to pass out again at 6 or 7am.

As I wander sleepily through the forums, it made me wonder how many people soap during insomnia hours? I hesitate to soap because I don't want to wake the housemates with the sound of the immersion blender at 3am.. But other than that, it would make these hours more satisfying.

Wisking castille is good exercise, it might help you fall asleep faster ;)

If that's not appealing there's m&p or bath bombs. I usually exercise if insomnia gets bad (I don't otherwise). I don't think I trust myself soaping when bleary eyed. There's too much potential to spill the lye.

I feel your pain. I find myself up at 2-3-4 in the AM often enough. Insomnia is awful. I don't make soap, even if I feel awake enough. Because of safety, as BattleGnome said, and also because I don't want my brain getting the idea that if it wakes me up in the middle of the night (or prevents me from getting to sleep at all) there will be something fun to do instead of sleeping.

Wisking castille is good exercise, it might help you fall asleep faster ;)

If that's not appealing there's m&p or bath bombs. I usually exercise if insomnia gets bad (I don't otherwise). I don't think I trust myself soaping when bleary eyed. There's too much potential to spill the lye.

Good point on safety! I think I'll stay away from serious chemistry at 3am. I tried exercising for a while, and I was even more wired but tired. Reading seems to be the best way to keep any chance of eventually making it back to sleep.

... and also because I don't want my brain getting the idea that if it wakes me up in the middle of the night (or prevents me from getting to sleep at all) there will be something fun to do instead of sleeping.

Considering how often I've laid in bed wondering about how to do things like Goat's Milk soap, I think I'll stay away from soaping activities - even melt and pour. Otherwise my brain may try to give up sleep entirely.

I have insomnia,too. I just read through the SMF threads on my phone. But turn the lightness down to zero.
Though this is not recommend by doctors, they said computers, cell phones, and gadgets will get your brain more exciting. Even you are lying in bed reading it.It will tell your brain that this bed is not only for sleeping. Turn off these thing at least one hour before bed.
Doctors said there's two activities allowed in your own sleeping bed. :bunny:

Oh and the lighting of your room is crucial. Turn it all off at night. Don't sleep with the lights on.

I have insomnia,too. I just read through the SMF threads on my phone. But turn the lightness down to zero.
Though this is not recommend by doctors, they said computers, cell phones, and gadgets will get your brain more exciting. Even you are lying in bed reading it.It will tell your brain that this bed is not only for sleeping. Turn off these thing at least one hour before bed.
Doctors said there's two activities allowed in your own sleeping bed. :bunny:

Oh and the lighting of your room is crucial. Turn it all off at night. Don't sleep with the lights on.

I definitely read through the forum here when my insomnia is going (as you can see ;))! And I've started plugging my phone in by the couch in the living room specifically to try and manage the whole, bed being for sleep and bunny time!! :lol:

Now I'm laying on the couch instead, reading SMF!

Have you tried coloring? Adult coloring is really trendy right now, and I've heard from a few insomniacs that it's very helpful in getting their brains to calm down before bed.

You know, I do have some adult coloring books I'd forgotten all about! I'm going to give that a try. At the worst, I end up still awake, but enjoying making something beautiful and relaxing.

Thank you :)

I have insomnia, also. What makes me sleepy is watching any sort of show. Whether it is a documentary or a drama, it still works. I have tried every sort of calming activity out there, but the only thing that works is watching TV. (Yes, that negatively affects how much TV I can watch. No, I don't always like it, because it is very difficult to stay awake at the movie theater.)

I have insomnia, also. What makes me sleepy is watching any sort of show. Whether it is a documentary or a drama, it still works. I have tried every sort of calming activity out there, but the only thing that works is watching TV.

It's funny, there are supposedly two kinds of insomnia: the kind where you can't get to sleep and the kind where you can't stay asleep. From everything I've read, all the research is on the first kind, but I've yet to find anything significant on the second.

But considering how many people I talk to also report insomnia, it makes me wonder who the lucky people are that can sleep through the night... And how they do it.

I have had the "can't stay asleep" kind of insomnia since I was a kid. My dad had the same type of insomnia. I learned a long time ago that all those medications for insomnia are wasted on me. In the best case, they simply don't work. In the worst case, they make me sleep walk, cook, eat, etc. When I woke up in my car with the car running, thankfully in the driveway, I stopped taking any of them.

I do not try to make soap due to safety concerns if it is before 5 am. If it is after 5, I will, because I am awake for the day at that point. I do, however, play with the lye calculators, and plan batches of soap in the middle of the night. Also I will refill my smaller containers with lard, and melt coconut oil to refill my pre-weighed containers.

Oddly enough, coffee will put me to sleep if I am the least bit sleepy. But I only get to stay in bed about 1.5 hours after I drink it.

But considering how many people I talk to also report insomnia, it makes me wonder who the lucky people are that can sleep through the night... And how they do it.

There is speculation that humans were meant to sleep in 4 hour blocks (or something like that). Theory goes that you would want to get up and move for safety or rebuild the fire or hunt certain animals.

I've always had some trouble sleeping. I know my current issues are from working 3rd shift with a bedroom that faces west. I get a beautiful breeze and amazing sunlight.... when I'm supposed to sleep.

There is speculation that humans were meant to sleep in 4 hour blocks (or something like that). Theory goes that you would want to get up and move for safety or rebuild the fire or hunt certain animals.

This makes a lot of sense. Now that you remind me, I vaguely remember a study that was done in an environment where there was no outside light present (in the sense of sunlight or moonlight) to see what people's sleep patterns would be without the outside signified day or night timing. If I remember correctly, people when completely left to their own devices would sleep 4 and 6 hour cycles of sleep and wakefulness. I don't remember if that was the same study that showed that there really are morning birds, night owls, and one other sleep pattern (I'm forgetting the third).

I've always had some trouble sleeping. I know my current issues are from working 3rd shift with a bedroom that faces west. I get a beautiful breeze and amazing sunlight.... when I'm supposed to sleep.

That lighting situation would kill me. As I've gotten older I've become "light activated". As it is, I've gone through several different sleep masks before I found one that didn't bug the heck out of me.

I'm still working on the sleep mask issue. We don't have ac and most masks don't breathe well in the summer.

I know several veterans that would agree with that. They need to "take a walk" in order to get back to sleep.
Try reading the Good Book. It tends to relax me and get me in the right frame to rest easy.
May not work for you. YMMV.

Go get some sunlight and exercise helps. It rebuilds the clock inside our bodies. On the other hand, working 3rd shift and room facing west... Might as well DIY some heavy thread count curtain or even do it like hotels, use double layer curtains. ;)

And OMG to sleep pills causing driving car in driveway!!! Glad you are safe.

Last edited:
A good night's sleep is precious to me. I try to keep a regular 7AM/11PM schedule; eat 3 squares a day at set times; get a bit of exercise daily; don't do anything stimulating before bedtime. This works pretty well, but there are times when my mind is running and sleep evades me. That's when Melatonin works for me. It's a natural hormone you can find in the vitamin section of your grocery/drug store. I buy the 1 mg size and bite it in half. (Taking the whole pill gives me a "drug hangover" the next day.) Swallow with a few gulps of water. Crawl into bed. Turn the radio sleep timer on. Lie on my back and take a few deep breaths to wind down. Takes about 20 minutes to drift off to dreamland. Ahhhhhh.

I often have waking insomnia, leading to my being awake but not necessarily feeling refreshed at 2 or 3 in the morning... And then ready to pass out again at 6 or 7am.

As I wander sleepily through the forums, it made me wonder how many people soap during insomnia hours? I hesitate to soap because I don't want to wake the housemates with the sound of the immersion blender at 3am.. But other than that, it would make these hours more satisfying.

Oh boy I have the same problem, and often go to sleep in the morning .... My husbands hearing has decayed as he gotten old, so noise do not bother him, or so he says.... he is so kind to me. My sons sleep like logs. So 99 % of the time I soap around 1 to 3 in the morning. At least I know nobody will bother me ! :mrgreen:

That's when Melatonin works for me. It's a natural hormone you can find in the vitamin section of your grocery/drug store. I buy the 1 mg size and bite it in half. (Taking the whole pill gives me a "drug hangover" the next day.) Swallow with a few gulps of water. Crawl into bed. Turn the radio sleep timer on. Lie on my back and take a few deep breaths to wind down. Takes about 20 minutes to drift off to dreamland. Ahhhhhh.

I'm envious :)

Getting to sleep is rarely an issue for me, I'm pretty good at being passed out by 10pm. For me the issue is staying asleep past 2 or 3 in the morning. I'll pop awake and be awake until about 8am, at which point my body is ready to get those hours of sleep again. It makes some groggy mornings! :D

Oh boy I have the same problem, and often go to sleep in the morning .... My husbands hearing has decayed as he gotten old, so noise do not bother him, or so he says.... he is so kind to me. My sons sleep like logs. So 99 % of the time I soap around 1 to 3 in the morning. At least I know nobody will bother me ! :mrgreen:

I can see that being great time to enjoy your personal puttering and projects. After all, the early morning can be beautiful when it feels like all the world is asleep.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Solid-Thermal-Embossed-Woven-Single-Panel/45923229

PLUS

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bali-Size-At-Home-Blackout-Shade-37-1-4-x-72/44555958

I have worked many third shifts, and this combination is the only thing that works for me.

Back