My handmade soap is making my skin feeling dry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your recipe seems fine, only thing I might add is to add chelation if you happen to have hard water. Like citric acid with extra lye to account for it or EDTA. And I don't remember whether you said anything about moisturizing afterwards, but that's probably still needed. Also check to see if you are allergic to anything in your soap. It won't always be clear cut.
But most website claims that handmade soap can do wonders to out skin... that it is not only clean but moisturize our skin at the same time. many articles I read also mentioned when using handmade soap, no lotion is needed thereafter. So , I guess not huh?

Example one of the website: http://patch.com/illinois/tinleypark/handmade-soap-vs-store-bought-soap-whats-difference

But most website claims that handmade soap can do wonders to out skin... that it is not only clean but moisturize our skin at the same time.

Example one of the website: http://patch.com/illinois/tinleypark/handmade-soap-vs-store-bought-soap-whats-difference

if you read through this forums many threads, the recurring theme is that soap cleans without drying too much. it DOES NOT moisturize and you absolutely need to moisturize if you have dry skin, especially in the winter with dry air and heaters.

Can you post pictures and share your exact recipe? Then we could all run it through our lye calcs. Some people find coconut oil and/or castor oil drying, but it is strange that your testers are all having the same reaction. 2 weeks is a bit short for a cure but 8 wks is fine.

I second this. I understand that you shared the recipe as written in your original post. However, I believe what Millie was suggesting (and I concur) is you detail the amounts that you actually used of all your ingredients. This might help determine if there was an error in the calculations. Photos of the resulting soap could allow a visual determination of whether there was undissolved lye in your solution. Even sharing the vendor information or brands of the oils/butters used might be worthwhile.

Quite a few have hypothesized on the problem under the assumption that everything was done appropriately. Maybe it was. However, I really like to start at the beginning. It is hard to solve a mystery without all the relevant information.:)
Save
Save

But most website claims that handmade soap can do wonders to out skin... that it is not only clean but moisturize our skin at the same time. many articles I read also mentioned when using handmade soap, no lotion is needed thereafter. So , I guess not huh?

Try making a soap with only 10% coconut or no coconut oil and see if it is better for you. Not all people can use lye soap. Soap is not made to be moisturizing but to clean. With a high enough superfat you may think it is moisturizing because of the excess oil, but remember that excess oil is going down your plumbing and hindering lather. You maybe should try a nice mild m&p base. I have one daughter that can only use m&p and we only allowed the grandkids to use m&p when young

Try making a soap with only 10% coconut or no coconut oil and see if it is better for you. Not all people can use lye soap. Soap is not made to be moisturizing but to clean. With a high enough superfat you may think it is moisturizing because of the excess oil, but remember that excess oil is going down your plumbing and hindering lather. You maybe should try a nice mild m&p base. I have one daughter that can only use m&p and we only allowed the grandkids to use m&p when young

Isn't M&P still technically lye soap? My understanding was you can't have soap without lye - end of story. Was there something different about M&P that I haven't heard of yet? Curious. :)

"Not all people can use lye soap". She's talking about syndet bars instead of soap like what you find in grocery stores. They are made from detergents instead of real soap (lye based). You'll see the label describe it as "beauty bars" "facial bars" etc., instead of using the actual word soap.

Last edited:

There are good, bad and indifferent handmade soaps. It takes time to learn how to make soap properly for your local water and with the supplies that you have access to. You only just got started. You got great suggestions to help you troubleshoot. You need to work on your recipes to figure out what the issues are. You can also buy a handmade soap from an established reputable soaper to see if you have the same issues.

All you can expect from a soap is to clean the skin without over stripping the natural oils so your skin isn't constantly having to repair itself.

Palm kernel oil and pal kernel olein are NOT the same.

That may very well be the problem. I have not as yet gone so far as to search out the SAP values for them both but I suspect that since the fatty acid profiles are different by specification that the SAP values will be different as well.

Same here.
I use some super gentle recipes (high olive, high lard, shea butter, almond oil, no more than 15 coconut, superfat 6-9% etc) yet my skin looks and feels somewhat dry (and a little itchy) after a shower.
Body lotion takes care of that.

Try cutting out the coconut oil altogether.
I can't use Palm or coconut because they both make me itch after use.
Many EOs and most additives (especially SLS) make me itch too.

Keep experimenting until you find something that works for your skin.
Handmade soap isn't a miracle cure for dry skin but I definitely use a lot less moisturiser after a shower with handmade soap than with commercial soap and I don't itch (with the right recipe).

That's interesting. If you don't mind me asking, what is your go-to solution for producing lather in your soap? Thanks!

That's interesting. If you don't mind me asking, what is your go-to solution for producing lather in your soap? Thanks!

I'm not Penelope, but some ways of increasing lather are sugar (or honey). You can also add castor oil (try 5%, too much and the soap will be soft and rubbery). I like to use sunflower oil with my olive - I think it boosts the lather as well.

Same here.
I use some super gentle recipes (high olive, high lard, shea butter, almond oil, no more than 15 coconut, superfat 6-9% etc) yet my skin looks and feels somewhat dry (and a little itchy) after a shower.
Body lotion takes care of that.

Many EOs and most additives (especially SLS) make me itch too.

Keep experimenting until you find something that works for your skin.
Handmade soap isn't a miracle cure for dry skin but I definitely use a lot less moisturiser after a shower with handmade soap than with commercial soap and I don't itch (with the right recipe).

I'm also prone to the itchies and while that can be linked to detergent (I can handle many fragrances but NOT colorings) and colored soaps, I've found that my skin does the best when I don't use most high coconut soaps and nix coconut altogether in regular recipes. I have not qualms with PKO flakes provided I cap it at 10% tops on a recipe and don't get me started with babassu- I love it but it's so much better in a lotion than in a soap (which is still an amazing soap to use).

All in all, experimenting is key here and coconut oil is high on the nix list if you're having issues with your soap. I suggest, like others, that you cut it out first. The see if it's olive oil or palm if you use it.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

I must admit that I feel a little confused/baffled right now.

There are so many variables (oils, colorants, EOs) that need to be reconsidered until I find the reason for the slight dryness and itchiness.

I like to cure my soap for 3 months, so the trial period will take for ever.

Tonight I will make the simplest soap I have ever made : 45 palm, 20 olive, 20 sunflower, 10 shea butter, 5 castor, sugar for the bubbles, no color, no scent and start from there..

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

I must admit that I feel a little confused/baffled right now.

There are so many variables (oils, colorants, EOs) that need to be reconsidered until I find the reason for the slight dryness and itchiness.

I like to cure my soap for 3 months, so the trial period will take for ever.

Tonight I will make the simplest soap I have ever made : 45 palm, 20 olive, 20 sunflower, 10 shea butter, 5 castor, sugar for the bubbles, no color, no scent and start from there..

Why not try 100% OO?

Isn't M&P still technically lye soap? My understanding was you can't have soap without lye - end of story. Was there something different about M&P that I haven't heard of yet? Curious. :)
Nope, it is not considered a soap and has to be labeled as a cosmetic, also FDA does not recognize it as soap. Granted they may start with a soap base, by the time all the additives are added it is no longer soap and the ph is lower than the original "soap" base. Some are actually "syndet" bars which are surfacant based. Both are much more gentle than cp or hp soap. I use melt and pour and my soap for different body areas. I cannot use soap everywhere, even my no coco or pko soaps.

Nope, it is not considered a soap and has to be labeled as a cosmetic, also FDA does not recognize it as soap. Granted they may start with a soap base, by the time all the additives are added it is no longer soap and the ph is lower than the original "soap" base. Some are actually "syndet" bars which are surfacant based. Both are much more gentle than cp or hp soap. I use melt and pour and my soap for different body areas. I cannot use soap everywhere, even my no coco or pko soaps.

Thank you for this info! I don't work with M&P, so I had no idea. Learn something new every day! :)

Also try one without shea in case there is a reaction there

I concur with TEG and would like to echo a sentiment from penelopejane...

If one is allergic to something in a soap recipe, one way of isolating it might be to start with the simplest recipes (a 100% CO bar with a high SF and a 100% OO bar) and see if there are any reactions to those... and if not then make a CO-OO bar with the next ingredient you want to test and so on.

The OO would be problematic since it takes so long to cure but you might be able to get a 100% OO bar from a friend who has a few extra.

Latest posts

Back