Need help finding an ingredient

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polysorbate 80 is a wonderful option to shampoo. It's gooey but Do NOT wet your hands. If you do, the Poly-80 moves like cement! LOL Pour some in a saucer and use your fingertips to dip and apply. Focus on covering the scalp, starting at the hairline. Finger comb from the hair line, working up toward the crown, adding more as needed. Wait about 5 minutes. Add enough water to create a bit of a lather and massage the scalp. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.

Another option would be to add a bit of your cream to your shampoo recipe.

:bunny:

Yes, I'm definitely going to try adding my cream into my shampoo recipe! Thank you that's a great idea!

About the polysorbate-80. I looked it up and it seems to be a something used to help dissolve or emulsify into something else, commonly used as an inactive ingredient. I wasn't able to find anything on using it as a cleanser or shampoo. How did you come to know to use this as a shampoo? And did you mean to use it as a regular shampoo or specifically for dandruff?

Save

About the polysorbate-80. I looked it up and it seems to be a something used to help dissolve or emulsify into something else, commonly used as an inactive ingredient. I wasn't able to find anything on using it as a cleanser or shampoo. How did you come to know to use this as a shampoo? And did you mean to use it as a regular shampoo or specifically for dandruff?
Oh, it was just one of those things that I learned while messing around. There's a Japanese-based cosmetic company called DHC. I had been buying their products for years. One of their top sellers is a Deep Cleansing Oil. I liked it. The ingredients were fairly simple, so I duplicated it. It was a combo of Olive Oil, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Polysorbate 80, and vitamin E. It took a bit of T & E but eventually I got it to where I couldn't tell mine from the real thing. Then one day I thought "This works on my face, why not try it in my greasy ole locks?" I did. It worked. Then I tried just the polysorbate 80 without the rest of the stuff and that worked too. I use it between shampoos or as a clarifier before shampooing. And once in a while, I even use it for it's intended purpose! LOL

The last person I recommended it to had a grandson with severe eczema in his scalp. Nothing she tried worked and she was desperate. She tried shampooing his hair with poly-80 and it worked like a charm! That's why I think it might work for you. (cross fingers)

I'm not braggin', I'm just sayin'... it makes me happy to know that I helped someone, 'ya know what I mean?

ETA: DHC Deep Cleansing Oil Link:
http://www.dhccare.com/deep-cleansi...jaROuKXYf8vvO3db9J1fSglEojAZuhQF__xoCc5rw_wcB

Oh my gosh... when I last bought this stuff it must have been 12 years or so ago... at that time it was about $8.00. Now it's $28!!! And the ingredients have changed. Hmmm.

Oh, it was just one of those things that I learned while messing around. There's a Japanese-based cosmetic company called DHC. I had been buying their products for years. One of their top sellers is a Deep Cleansing Oil. I liked it. The ingredients were fairly simple, so I duplicated it. It was a combo of Olive Oil, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Polysorbate 80, and vitamin E. It took a bit of T & E but eventually I got it to where I couldn't tell mine from the real thing. Then one day I thought "This works on my face, why not try it in my greasy ole locks?" I did. It worked. Then I tried just the polysorbate 80 without the rest of the stuff and that worked too. I use it between shampoos or as a clarifier before shampooing. And once in a while, I even use it for it's intended purpose! LOL

The last person I recommended it to had a grandson with severe eczema in his scalp. Nothing she tried worked and she was desperate. She tried shampooing his hair with poly-80 and it worked like a charm! That's why I think it might work for you. (cross fingers)

I'm not braggin', I'm just sayin'... it makes me happy to know that I helped someone, 'ya know what I mean?

ETA: DHC Deep Cleansing Oil Link:
http://www.dhccare.com/deep-cleansi...jaROuKXYf8vvO3db9J1fSglEojAZuhQF__xoCc5rw_wcB

Oh my gosh... when I last bought this stuff it must have been 12 years or so ago... at that time it was about $8.00. Now it's $28!!! And the ingredients have changed. Hmmm.

Wow that's crazy how the polysorbate alone worked so well! It would seem by the ingredients that it would be the vitamin E oil or the other oils known for it's skin moisturizing properties. Polysorbate 80 is literally defined as something used just to help combine other ingredients, as an "emulsifier", an inactive ingredient. That's some real experimenting and thinking outside of the box! I'll definitely give it a try. Thank you!

Wow thanks for all the replies. I really wasn't expecting any! I'm going to start with making a good basic liquid shampoo. Then I'll first try just adding the pyritione zinc cream I have into the recipe as recommended. Then I'll try the zinx oxide since that's as easy as ordering it on amazon. The pyrithione zinc and zinc omadine I can only find on chemical sites like alibaba and gallade chemical which both only sell to businesses, which I am not. So maybe calling a compounding pharmacy is my best bet. The stuff doesn't require a prescription, but my only concern is that they might have some kind of policy that doesn't allow them to sell unpackaged items that are not on the market, especially a pure chemical. But it's definitely worth a try.

Pyrithione Zinc is not soluble in water. H&S manufacturer must use some other ingredients to make it soluble or at least remain in suspension. I think just adding the cream to a liquid shampoo may not work.

Polysorbate 80 is literally defined as something used just to help combine other ingredients, as an "emulsifier", an inactive ingredient. That's some real experimenting and thinking outside of the box! I'll definitely give it a try. Thank you!
You're welcome! Altho most of us refer to it as an "emulsifier", technically, it is a "solubizer" -- meaning, it has the ability to dissolve oil. (That's why I use it to get grease spots out of my soaping tee-shirts before tossing them in the washing machine.) Once the oil is dissolved in Polysorbate-80 (or -20), it can then be added to water-based products, i.e., body mists, liquid soap. etc. No more "oil-slick" floating on top of the product.

Pyrithione zinc, can be used to treat face dandruff & facial dermatitis. I have my own facial soap recipe that I would love to work this into for personal use.

It's the large minimum orders on Alibaba that scare me off from becoming familiar with the site. Since this is for my own skin issues, I may just give it a go anyway. Although, I don't actually have extra hundreds just lying around. :D

After looking more closely at the listing on Alibaba, I realized that quite a few suppliers have a minimum order for pyrithione zinc of 1 kilogram (2.2 lbs)! So, I will be attempting my first purchase from the site very soon hopefully. Yay :lol:

Alibaba has larger quantities and aliexpress has small quantities. One in the same.

Have you tried Selsun Blue? I am asking because it would give you a second option of ingredient to try.

Yup, I sure have. I've tried pretty much all the drug store brands. Denorex, Nizoral, T/Gel, SebaMed etc. I even had a prescription given to me by a doctor of some pink gel I don't remember what it was, and I had to use it 3 days in a row then use it every other shampoo, and that stuff would work at first, but as soon as I went every other shampoo, my dandruff would come right back. And made my hair feel like straw. When it gets bad, it gets really bad too. So it almost seems ironic that Head and Shoulders, the most mainstream and commercial of dandruff shampoos, is the only thing that works for me. I mean like in 1 or 2 shampoos however bad it was, it will all just completely disappear from my scalp, as if I'd never had an issue. I started to realize that anything that has pyrithione zinc in it works, like Neutrogena has a 2-in-1 product called Daily Control, but it's really expensive plus I don't like 2-in-1 products. It's been a lifetime issue for me. And I almost feel like I'm "hooked" on H&S!

Latest posts

Back