I'm so lost

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selah925

Reaction score
I have been having a cosmetic issue with all my soaps that I believe is DOS. I have tried so many things to fix it that I am almost at the point of not wanting to make any more. The soap still smells great and works wonderfully, I just don't like those little random yellowish spots. I keep my superfat at 5% and have even tried less. I only used distilled water. I have bought all brand new ingredients to make sure they were the freshest (olive oil, palm oil, castor oil, coconut oil). I use T-50 when I first get the oils and in each batch I am making. I have changed the heating anywhere from 95 F- 110 F. I have made sure they are ventilated well and given space to air out and cure. I've kept them in the mold longer and waited longer to cut even after taking out of the mold. I only use essential oils and no other random ingredients.

So, do you think it could be my base oils? The castor oil? Some kind of heating/mixing issue? Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

I had to go look up what t-50 is lol

Can you post a pic?

It's my understanding that with DOS, either your oils (or one of) aren't as fresh as they claim or the t-50 might be causing it? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using it.

When do the spots show up? Are you CPing or HPing? Additives?
On what surface are you curing them? Where does the DOS appear? What oils are you using? Of what are your soaping bowls and utensils made?

How's the humidity and heat where you live?

Are you using colorants? Some oxides contribute to DOS.

Also as previous posters mentioned, what's your curing surface and what is the composition of your soaping tools?

Thinking also the room/area you might be curing in. Is it humid, moist?

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

When do the spots show up? The spots don't show up immediately. Anywhere from about a month to 2 months.

Are you CPing or HPing? CPing is the only process I have ever used to make soap.

Additives? Not any standard additives ... I do add honey and oatmeal for one soap, titanium dioxide for another type, lavender herbs for another, sage spice for another.

On what surface are you curing them? I cure them in either PVC round molds or a wooden log mold both lined with parchment paper.

Where does the DOS appear?The DOS doesn't just appear on the outer edges that touch the parchment paper/mold. It shows up along the inside where I cut them into bars.

What oils are you using? My base oils are Generic Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Distilled water, Lye, and Castor Oil, and drops of T-50

What are your soaping bowls and utensils made? I use a stainless steel pot, plastic container to measure the water and lye, glass for any essentials, wooden spoons for stirring, a stick blender for the main process.

How's the humidity and heat where you live? Hmmmm... not sure, I've lived here too long that it seems normal. :lol: Well, it isn't dry like the west, but not as humid at FL. I do all my soaping inside (except the mixing of lye), if that makes any difference.

Are you using colorants? The only coloring I have used are spices, herbs, and titanium dioxide

Can you post a pic? For some reason I don't have any, but will definitely take a picture the next time.

Can you post a recipe? Here is my basic:
Water 28.54 oz
Lye 14.055 oz
Olive 39.04 oz (40%)
Coconut 29.28 oz (30%)
Palm 24.4 (25%)
Castor 4.88 oz (5%)
Super fat discount 5%
Lye concentration 33

Thanks again!

Your recipe is fine. I'm wondering whether your generic olive oil might be adulterated as this happens quite often. Try making a batch of plain soap using that recipe but with no additives at all and use a more expensive brand of olive oil and see how that turns out. After you cut the soap, lay it on paper before putting it on a rack to dry.

Also, ditch the wooden spoons and go to plastic ones. They may be holding onto oils or something else that is hard to clean out of such a porous surface.

You have all given me hope! :)

Any suggestion of where to get the olive oil and what brand? I usually get the generic from Walmart. I do buy my Palm from Bitter Creek.

With what are you cutting your soaps? A wire cutter made from a guitar string and a hacksaw. Sounds professional, right? :lol:

Did you really mean "DOS"?

DOS in soaping circles usually means "Dreaded Orange Spots".....did you say white?.....DOS are not white, more brownish-orange.

So, I'm wondering.....

could it be your TD isn't mixing in properly, or your colorants aren't completely dissolving, esp the spices.... or, is your lye melting completely before you continue?

I had small white spots in my soaps once, and it was something like that....

what do you use for a mold? I once had brown spots which were just discolorations from the wood on my wooden mold....I was able to trim it off.

I buy my olive oil from a grocery supplier in the next town. How I found it: I asked the stock manager at my local grocery store where he bought his cans of olive oil. He told me and even gave me a man's name I could contact. So helpful! I now drive to that other town to pick up my supplies when they come in, so there isn't even a delivery charge, and I get the oils tax-free with my wholesale business number. Good luck!

Pictures would be a great help.

I get my olive oil from Columbus foods.

"DOS in soaping circles usually means "Dreaded Orange Spots".....did you say white?.....DOS are not white, more brownish-orange." If I said white, I meant to say yellowish in color. Some are kind of orange'ish. And I have never had them just around the edges, but rather randomly throughout. Not a ton of them, maybe 2-6 spots on each bar.

You said you are drying your soaps inside round PVC pipes and inside the wooden molds. Perhaps your soaps are not getting enough air circulation. Try placing them on a non-metal shelf with an inch of space all around each bar for your curing time. Compare with the soaps you've kept inside the molds.

Thank you! That post and pictures looks like what I have had. I'm going to make some more soon, and I think I'll just try the higher quality Olive Oil first and see what happens from there.

One more thing .... from Columbus Foods, do you just buy the Refined A Olive Oil? I had heard that Extra Virgin is not as good for soaping.

Oh extra virgin is good for soaping - just kinda overkill for most of us. I do buy EVOO there - but we eat it!

Latest posts

Back