Lush and rapeseed oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
So, I went to this store the other day and was curious what oils they use, rapeseed, sunflower, co , sls, td and edta, what do yal think about rapeseed? Im reading about it and how it is poisonious to living things and kills bugs, etc Is it safe for soap? I dont think I would use it. Any thoughts??

honor435 said:
So, I went to this store the other day and was curious what oils they use, rapeseed, sunflower, co , sls, td and edta, what do yal think about rapeseed? Im reading about it and how it is poisonious to living things and kills bugs, etc Is it safe for soap? I dont think I would use it. Any thoughts??
Rapeseed is more or less canola, or rather, canola, is a specific cultivar of rapeseed and an acronym for "Canadian oil, low acid." The Lush soaps sold in the US are largely manufactured in Canada (I was told this by a Lush sales rep). No idea if Canada calls their oil rapeseed or CanOLA in their country. There was a similar thread on this, I believe, a few days ago.

the thread was: is rapeseed, canola, not about lush or what people think.

honor435 said:
the thread was: is rapeseed, canola, not about lush or what people think.
Ok, well, then, I think it's more or less Lush using canola oil in their production, as rapeseed is more or less the same thing. While I personally wouldn't use canola because it's more DOS-prone, I don't think it's any more dangerous than making soap with something labeled "canola oil." I know many people happily use canola in their soaping.

Ok, on snopes it says that there is rapeseed in canola, so they arent the same,
thought this was interesting:
"Rape seed is a penetrating oil, to be used in light industry, not for human consumption. It contains toxic substance. Even after the processing to reduce erucic acid content( canola), it is still a penetrating oil. We have found that it turns rancid very fast. It also leaves a residual rancid odor on clothing"

honor435 said:
"Rape seed is a penetrating oil, to be used in light industry, not for human consumption. It contains toxic substance. Even after the processing to reduce erucic acid content( canola), it is still a penetrating oil. We have found that it turns rancid very fast. It also leaves a residual rancid odor on clothing"
Have you used Snopes before? The part you're quoting is from the DISPROVED email that's later debunked by Snopes. The "facts" come later, in plain text and NOT the colored box. Please read that instead of the debunked info.
You referenced bug killing in your OP, and the property is derived from the naturally high occurrence of erucic acid- with most modern cultivars bred to decrease the high production of this particular acid to render it safer for use and consumption. Many plants have naturally pesticide properties, even the common bell pepper.
Please go back and re-read Snopes, particularly the factual section under "Origins."

ah I see. thanks.
I have been reading about canola today, I still wouldnt want to use it, I'd rather have an oil, like oo that I know hasnt been altered, you know?
genetically modified foods dont sound too good, although I know with soap your not eating it!

honor435 said:
ah I see. thanks.
I have been reading about canola today, I still wouldnt want to use it, I'd rather have an oil, like oo that I know hasnt been altered, you know?
genetically modified foods dont sound too good, although I know with soap your not eating it!
Like I said, I don't use canola because I don't want DOS, but there are others who use it happily with no problem.

OO has a longer history in soaping, but it's a misnomer to think that olives, or their oil (pomace, for instance) haven't been somehow altered/modified/refined. There are literally hundreds of different cultivars of olives, and these varieties have been crossed and bred with others to achieve certain characteristics desired by growers for generations. In this sense, olives, too, are altered.

Aside from Monsanto's GM rapeseed (which does not constitute the entire rapeseed/canola supply), other rapeseed has been bred in just this same way as olives, being crossed with various strains to achieve "desirable" characteristics.

Have you ever eaten a raw olive? Likely not, as raw olives are considered inedible. Unless cured or made into oil, they are not eaten because they possess a different component (Oleuropein) that renders them undesirable/unusable.

Rapeseed/canola, olive... let the buyer make an informed decision.

honor435 said:

Rapeseed is commonly used as a cooking/frying oil in Germany; and is often promoted as a healthier alternative to solid fats.

I believe, and I could be wrong, that canola is a cultivar of rapeseed (bred from it) which specifically has a much lower eurcic acid content.

youre right it is. Does anyone use rapeseed in their soap? just wondered.

I have used it once. I believe it was 25% coconut, 25% palm oil, 30% olive and 20% rapeseed.
It wasn't bad and no DOS or anything. But I prefer other recipes.

Latest posts

Back