Are you ready to sell your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased Insurance through my homeowners insurance. It was very reasonable for me to add on only $15 or so. Speaking of that, I need to get a copy of the paperwork to see what is all included. Right now I am just giving soaps away as gifts, but wanted to have my butt covered. I couldn't afford the Soapmakers Guild insurance at this point in time. You could talk to your insurance agent and see what they have to say. Happy Soaping to you! :)

I would def get a copy of that paperwork!
Before I ever started my business, I talked to our insurance agent who covers our home/cars/boat, etc. and while they could add a policy to cover damage to our home, it was NOT business liability insurance!
Like you, I started out giving my products as gifts - but even then you still need liability insurance to cover your butt. Don't get me wrong...I totally get where you are coming from; and that first year I paid $500 to join the Soap Guild and have insurance (even though I wasn't selling yet), I almost cried! That's a lot of money for anyone, but I would rather spend the money and know I'm covered rather than worry that someone I gifted a soap to let their kid eat it and then ended up in the ER with abdominal pain/vomiting and THEN want to sue me for the bill!
**My 'real' job is in healthcare and I can assure you that ridiculous things like this actually do happen on a regular basis. You can't fix stupid, but you can insure against it.**
While this has never happened to me or to anyone I know, I'm well aware that the possibility is there. Even though we may take all precautions to make sure our products are totally safe, we live in a litigious society and I would much rather be safe than sorry!

Here is an article I ran across from Amanda Aaron at LovingSoap.com. It may have already been posted in this thread, as it's an article from 2014.
"I’ve made my first batch of soap…how long until I can sell it?"
:thumbs: Thanks for sharing that link. Lovin' Soap Studio is a great source for Newbies. It's Amanda and Benjamin Aaron, BTW. Each of them had their own businesses before they met while on a mission to teach women in 3rd World countries to make soap as a way of becoming financially self-sufficient.

Read more... About

:thumbs: Thanks for sharing that link. Lovin' Soap Studio is a great source for Newbies. It's Amanda and Benjamin Aaron, BTW. Each of them had their own businesses before they met while on a mission to teach women in 3rd World countries to make soap as a way of becoming financially self-sufficient.

Read more... About
So awesome what they did! Love her website so far. Super helpful. 😊

Back