Potentially Sold... (pretty much babble!)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret

Reaction score
Just need a place to say this, away from other horse people... I have a 4 year old Pain In The @ss, I mean Paint, mare for sale. She's not broke to ride. I planned on training her last year, but we moved and it didn't work out. I planned on sending her to a trainer this year, but DH lost his job, and we're getting back on our feet. So she's been sitting at my place, doing nothing. We're trying to start a family and it just isn't safe to work with her. So she needs to go.

Because she's not trained, I can't ask that much for her. Which sucks after the 3 years of board, vet and farrier bills I've paid. But such is the horse industry. Kind of like a car, you can't charge the new buyer for the gas you've put in it.

I got an email from someone I know saying they'd give me a little less than I'm asking. This is not a good time of year to sell horses, and we're dropping her off Saturday. I just got an email from someone else, saying they are looking for a horse to train, they've got experience, went to the same college as me, trained with a trainer I know, etc. She'd be a perfect fit. But I already said yes to the other person. Crap.

Oh well, right? I hate to see her go. I've had her since she was 7 mos old, and she was born the same day as my first horse was put down. But I haven't used her at all. She's very pretty, but also very mischevious. Such as always trying to bite DH, climbing gates, letting the other horses out. It's too much of a risk to keep her around. And, she is just getting picked on by my other two. They are 17, and 19 and have earned their partial retirements.

This is the 2nd horse I've sold and I just can't imagine dropping her off on Saturday and leaving without her. I had such big plans for her, but unless I want to wait even longer to train her, she's got to go.

I could never be in the animal business not nowing what was going to happen to an animal I cared for. Will it be loved, mistreated, sold again, starved? Couldn't do it. Do you *know* either of the people that want her?

I know the one who is buying her from a horse forum. She's been on there for quite a while and is well respected.

The other (who went to the same college as me, knows people I do, etc) is on the forum too, but is new. She'd want her as a training/resell project.

Unfortunately, there ARE people in the horse industry who come off as the best home, family, etc and then turn around and sell the horse to slaughter for more money. You never really know who to trust anymore...

I could never ever part with my other two. Kobe is 17 and I've had her for 6 years. Raja is 19, and I've had him since April. I knew him years ago at a place I had my first horse. I always wondered about him, and one day, he showed up at the last place I boarded. He had been sold. I talked to his new owner, and after we moved, she called me up and said she wanted to find him a better home. (She had had a bad riding accident on another horse and didn't have the confidence anymore to ride.) So here he is and here he'll stay.

At least with the 4 year old, she has a better chance at a career at this point. We never really clicked/had a strong bond. I'm certainly going to be sad to see her go, but this means we get to enjoy the other two. We can't now... the 4 year old can't be left alone. We tried that once. She flipped out, started racing around and slid under the fence and got loose. Too much liability.... Husband says he just sees liability issues when he looks at her.

Wow I wish I could take your horse! I would never have to mow again! :) Just kidding! I have wanted a horse my whole life, but unfortunately i don't live in a place where I could have one. Sorry

I would be sad to see her go as well, but you have to think of starting your family and getting on with your life. I have a feeling she will be fine!

dragonfly princess said:
I have a feeling she will be fine!

Well, you were right! I felt 100% about the place when we pulled in. Beautiful farm, multiple grassy pastures, newer barn and indoor riding arena. Her new owner is quite nice too. We saw 7 other horses there, and they all looked very well cared for. She'll be outside during the day and in a stall overnight.

Back