SMF April 2017 Challenge-Stripes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SaltedFig I'm thrilled with the theme of your soap! Just tonight we were watching Wild Kratts and the Tasmanian Tiger - which I'd never heard of! It would be fantastic if they were "rediscovered". Are there any plans to investigate this possibility?

SaltedFig I'm thrilled with the theme of your soap! Just tonight we were watching Wild Kratts and the Tasmanian Tiger - which I'd never heard of! It would be fantastic if they were "rediscovered". Are there any plans to investigate this possibility?

They are investigating, yes.

When it was first reported, they were citing sources (reliable folk) ... that reporting seems to have disappeared a bit (a good sign!) and a couple of days ago there was a news report that was about someone that had some hairs in a jar in their cupboard for all these years, and they've been given for DNA sampling.

So ... that news items didn't register much. Except now that I think about it ... there is less news about the sightings, and still more (general) news about the location and news about DNA from hairs.

It's the same pattern they followed when the Wollomi Pine was found in that gully (small canyon) a while back. Then they reported that a ranger had found it and roughly where it was ... and then the info mostly disappeared (with lots of whispers!) until the first "babies" were made available, with certificates of authenticity as being the first created from the only ones left in the worlds.

The "What if ... ?" is getting stronger :mrgreen: ... fingers crossed.

On soaps, my "Tassie Tiger" striped soap is starting to brown on the browns, so the change in stripe size from one end to the other is getting a bit more obvious ... getting there (1 and a half days out of the mould now, still not cleaned up).

I got the colour from museum pelt photo's, but this last photo was my main inspiration:

Tassie Tiger stripes.png

tasmanian-tiger small.jpg

I am in awe over the array of striped soap beauties entered in the Challenge this month. Well done, everyone!! Well done! Boy, am I glad I'm not tasked with the duty of voting on only 3.

dibbles, if I may ask, did you cut your soaps vertically from the loaf mold or horizontally? They are so, so elegant looking.

I am in awe over the array of striped soap beauties entered in the Challenge this month. Well done, everyone!! Well done! Boy, am I glad I'm not tasked with the duty of voting on only 3.

dibbles, if I may ask, did you cut your soaps vertically from the loaf mold or horizontally? They are so, so elegant looking.

Thank you - I cut them horizontally. And I agree, the voting will be very hard this month. Such an array of beauties!

It is going to be so hard to choose this Month! All the entries are so gorgeous, each uniquely drawing me to them. I don't know how to choose just three!

I completely agree earlene! I've gone through the entry thread several times and think "those are the 3 I'll vote for". I look at them again and pick 3 completely different ones. It's so hard when so many talented people with different and interesting visions enter a challenge!

I have to say a big Thank You to the challenge coordinators. I know it's not a simple matter to pick a subject and off you go. It's a LOT of work behind the scenes so...THANK YOU to Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, and GalaxyMLP. You've encouraged me to think outside my usual design borders, which I love. You guys rock!

Thx KristaY and especially newbie for doing 2 in a row! I enjoy hosting, but as time wears on I am hitting mental roadblocks on what to do next. I think that's the biggest challenge of hosting, for me at least!

I voted, and it was hard to choose (as always). I checked and unchecked boxes so many times, I should really write down my votes somewhere so I can remember which ones I ended up actually voting for. Great job everyone - really outstanding entries!

Big thanks to newbie for this one. It was fun to see all the different interpretations on the same theme.

Thanks newbie and dibbles. The technique is an almost wall pour - almost as in I almost actually poured down the wall 3 times in 15 passes... I poured as close to the wall as I could along one side. I used a floral in part of the batter which accelerated slightly and gave the lines a more bumpy look than I wanted. I still like the way it turned out. The shimmy still needs practice! (Good eye! I didn't think anyone would notice...)

I had added my name to the list but I have had the flu for weeks and was deathly ill. Im finally feeling better and am sorry as I wanted to have an entry. But you all did a beautiful job and I will vote as I am allowed. Hopefully next time.

I had added my name to the list but I have had the flu for weeks and was deathly ill. Im finally feeling better and am sorry as I wanted to have an entry. But you all did a beautiful job and I will vote as I am allowed. Hopefully next time.

I am happy you are better, and hope you are completely well soon!

We don't have all the votes in yet, so I will wait until late tonight to close the survey and announce the results.

Next month, we have a guest host, our very own Khaystack!!! He will be running May's challenge and will be posting the technique, the video and all the rules etc. We are excited to have him and he's got a cool challenge lined up!

Back