lavender soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do lavender buds turn brown in MP? I don't make MP and I don't generally like bits of things in my soap, so I don't know-- is it the lye in CP that makes them turn ugly, or will they even do that in MP?

I think KChaystack is just tired. I did not notice it's on melt and pour forum, before you mentioned it.I think lavender won't turn brown in MP base.

Do lavender buds turn brown in MP? I don't make MP and I don't generally like bits of things in my soap, so I don't know-- is it the lye in CP that makes them turn ugly, or will they even do that in MP?

yes they do. I know for a fact.

I noticed this thread, because I was going to ask of they also turn brown in CP?

Coloring Lavender soap naturally?

I would like to color my lavender soap naturally. Can I make a blueberry infusion to go into a lavender MP base with lavender oils and not make a big mess? Thanks, Y'all.

I would like to color my lavender soap naturally. Can I make a blueberry infusion to go into a lavender MP base with lavender oils and not make a big mess? Thanks, Y'all.

You could, but I don't think you'd get the sort of results you're hoping for. The blueberry infusion would probably turn brown when introduced to lye. I was sort of set on 'natural' colors when I started making soap, and learned pretty quickly that botanicals don't work all that well, on the whole. Synthetic mineral pigments are, to my mind, every bit as 'natural' as plants, and a whole lot more reliable. Synthetic only means they were produced in a lab, they're identical molecules to the pigments that can be mined directly from the earth, only without the heavy metal contamination that tends to occur in mined pigments.

Oh, I just caught the part where it's going into an MP base. Um... that would probably be a no. And again, I'd like to point out that mineral pigments WOULD work, and aren't, strictly speaking, unnatural.

Blueberry into MP? I can't imagine that working. I've soaked various things like madder root, indigo and spirulina in glycerine and added that drop by drop to M&P with surprisingly good results, so that might work with alkanet. Or maybe dehydrated blueberry powder mixed into glycerin and added drop by drop. But I'm going to +1 Kittish and recommend mineral pigments or micas if you want consistent results.

Back