Goat's Milk Soap Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudzy601

Reaction score
My first batches were great! No overheating. This was new bottle of lye and heated to the 90's nicely, no problems. Next few batches, I couldn't get the lye/milk solution above 80. Have had this happen with 4 new bottles of lye, too. Any clues on what is going on?

I usually mix the lye/frozen milk and keep ice bath handy, but now not even needing it. I have even had to place it in WARM water to raise temp, but now after doing all that am getting cracks as it cools.

Should I just go back to soaping at the lower temps? My goal was 90-100 degrees of both oils and lye solution. I know a lot of people recommend higher temps. Really like for them to go through gel phase and didn't want to refrigerate.

I make milk soap all the time. My milk/lye mixture is always used at room temp. I melt my hard oils just until clear then add my liquid oils. I've never had an issue with it and it keeps the soaps from overheating.

My favorite way to make milk soaps though is mixing my lye with 50% water then adding my milk to my oils. I use liquid milk and add enough powdered into the milk to make full milk. That way I don't have to mess with freezing it and worrying about it scorching if the lye is added to quickly.

Thought I might go back to the lower temp like you say. Still don't understand why the lye doesn't warm up like before. Was told by another soap maker that it HAS to heat up to use up all the lye.

I use lard and undiluted goat's milk to make my soap and it is hard to keep the lard from re-solidifying at low temp, though.

Just thought I'd get an opinion from folks who have been doing this longer than I have.

Latest posts

Back