Soap Curing Dance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity
Reaction score
I've now made two soaps: a lard recipe from @lenarenee and a castille @Steve8556 pointed me towards. I want to do one with Shea, but I'm still trying to figure out a good recipe. It is two weeks of cure left on the lard batch, and FOR EVER on the olive oil batch.

I was thinking that there should be a "soap curing dance" so that we can feel like we're doing something, even though there is nothing to do but give it time. :lol:

Right now my dance involves walking up to my soap box and peeking around at it through the slats and occasionally turning my soaps over... but I bet this could be improved on. Do you have a dance you do to "help" your soaps cure?

That's why you need to make a new batch every weekend... So you can always have a batch that's a week away from use!

Oh don't twist my arm!! ;)
At this rate, my kitchen is going to be taken over by soaping far faster than it was ever used for cooking!! Thank God I have an Instant Pot as my kitchen angel.

My routine of walking by them, picking them up, squeezing them, smelling them and sighing doesn't seem to be speeding up curing for some strange reason.

Hmmm, well obviously the soap curing dance is going to have to include some interaction with the soap. I like the idea of smelling it so I might add that to my dance as well. Maybe we need to add a little hopping on one foot or something..

I've now made two soaps: a lard recipe from @lenarenee and a castille @Steve8556 pointed me towards. I want to do one with Shea, but I'm still trying to figure out a good recipe. It is two weeks of cure left on the lard batch, and FOR EVER on the olive oil batch.

I was thinking that there should be a "soap curing dance" so that we can feel like we're doing something, even though there is nothing to do but give it time. :lol:

Right now my dance involves walking up to my soap box and peeking around at it through the slats and occasionally turning my soaps over... but I bet this could be improved on. Do you have a dance you do to "help" your soaps cure?

I absolutely do - it's called cheating. Because I know my recipe well, I don't necessarily wait 4 - 6 weeks before using it - happily using it without dryness or skin tightness issues. However, it's always better as each week passes.

I absolutely do - it's called cheating. Because I know my recipe well, I don't necessarily wait 4 - 6 weeks before using it - happily using it without dryness or skin tightness issues. However, it's always better as each week passes.

I like your dance....!!

So in theory, I could use your soap after two weeks? Or should I give it another week at least with my current dance?

I might still add some bouncing about to signal to the soap gods my gratitude and appreciation for any soap curing blessings they might provide.. :lol:

I actively encourage new soapers to try their soap each week. It teaches you, better than any other way, how important a proper cure is. And, indeed, when YOUR soap is at its best.

But I thought if I used it too soon it might burn me or something? The first time I touched my soaps to turn them over my fingers got itchy.

If your soap is made properly and not lye heavy 99% of saponification is done within a couple days. Cure isn't about getting rid of the lye as much as it is about hardening the bar so it will last, improving the lather and overall improving the performance of the soap. Taking 1 bar to try it out won't hurt anything, and a bar the next week and the next and then you are already at 4 weeks. Once you see how much improved the soap becomes with a good cure on it you won't mind waiting so much.

As soon as a new soap ceases to exhibit any zap, you can go ahead and give it a test drive at the hand-washing sink to see how it performs early-on. A no-show of zap means that there's no longer any un-reacted lye in the soap and is safe to use......but just keep in mind that 'safe-to-use' is not necessarily the same thing as 'best-to-use'. The younger the soap is, the higher the pH and the higher the potential for ending up with dry and/or itchy skin, which is why I don't like testing my new soaps out on my whole body - just my hands. I wait until after full cure before using my soap on my whole body.

Did you test your soap for zap before handling your soap? From what you said about it giving you itchy fingers, it sounds like your soap may still have some unreacted lye in it, especially if it did not go through the gel stage. My un-gelled batches oftentimes still zap after a week of unmolding.

IrishLass :)

Did you test your soap for zap before handling your soap? From what you said about it giving you itchy fingers, it sounds like your soap may still have some unreacted lye in it, especially if it did not go through the gel stage. My un-gelled batches oftentimes still zap after a week of unmolding.

Ummm... No, I just jumped right in and poked at it :think:. I don't think it gelled, but I don't know how to tell if it did or not.

Ummm... No, I just jumped right in and poked at it :think:.

:lol: I love your enthusiasm.

I don't think it gelled, but I don't know how to tell if it did or not.

The best way I'm able tell if my soap has gelled or not is by feel. If my soap is firm and easy to handle upon unmolding, and if it's able to stand up to being cut without making a mess, I know it has gone through the gel-stage.

If, on the other hand, my soap has the consistency of a block of cream cheese and is easy to dent with even the slightest application of pressure, I know it has not gelled.

Here's a link that explains the gel phase with pictures: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/gel-phase/

IrishLass :)

:lol: I love your enthusiasm.

Hehehe it takes me some interesting places.. And it makes for a few adventures!

As an aside, zap test is when you lick your soap, right? It seems funny to lick it and not poke it. Maybe I'm missing something?

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/gel-phase/[/URL]

Oh! Thank you! According to the link I don't think I gelled. I was a little too excited to pull it out and cut it in about 16 hours instead of 24... (oops)

The top was like cheddar and the bottom 1/4 was towards.. Well.. Mushy.

Back