Lotion Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarvel

Reaction score
Made my first lotion bars. They seem a little "sticky" and not hard enough.

This was my recipe: 2 oz beeswax
2 oz shea butter
2 oz avocao oil

Any suggestions to make them a little harder??
Kathie

20141020_043120-1.jpg

Shea and babassu melt at near body temperature. Because they melt so easily, I use butters like these more as an "oil" ingredient in formulations like this.

You need to use a butter that melts at a little higher temp -- cocoa or mango comes to mind -- or you need to increase the % of beeswax if you want to stick with the ingredients in your current formula.

Shea and babassu melt at near body temperature. Because they melt so easily, I use butters like these more as an "oil" ingredient in formulations like this.

You need to use a butter that melts at a little higher temp -- cocoa or mango comes to mind -- or you need to increase the % of beeswax if you want to stick with the ingredients in your current formula.

ok, thanks DeeAnna. I think I will order some cocoa butter. Wish I could find it in a regular food store. lol

Kathie

You might find cocoa butter in the pharmacy or health food section of your regular food store.

Afr using this bar for a couple of days, it isn't really sticky but a tad greasy. Mango butter was on sale at BB so it should be here on Friday. Do you think I should use a little more beeswax or stick to the 2 oz of each mango butter, avocado oil and beeswax?

Thoughts?

Wait and see how hard the mango butter is. If its harder then shea I would think using equal parts would work, ifs its softer you might need more beeswax. Every solid lotion I've used is greasy, its just the way it is.

Wait and see how hard the mango butter is. If its harder then shea I would think using equal parts would work, ifs its softer you might need more beeswax. Every solid lotion I've used is greasy, its just the way it is.

Sounds good, thanks.
Even tho it feels a little greasy, I am liking it more and it does sink in eventually.
Hope the butter comes in today. :grin:

I use both shea and cocoa or mango in my lotion bars. You can also add a bit of arrowroot powder, cornstarch or Isopropyl Myristate to help with the greasiness. I use IPM in my lotion bars and body butters and it makes just enough difference to me. I use it at 1%

Avocado oil, although great for the skin, makes a greasier bar. You might try using half avo and half lighter oil like FCO, sweet almond, sesame. IPM helps as well.

ok, thanks DeeAnna. I think I will order some cocoa butter. Wish I could find it in a regular food store. lol

Kathie

I have found it in health food stores, and also at Fred's Discount Pharmacy and Publix. It comes in a 1 oz round tube, like a giant lipbalm stick. The brands are Queen Helene's or Palmer's. Make sure it says 100% cocoa butter.

Back