deodorant recipe-converting to grams

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have swollen lymphs too and if I stop using store bought antiperspirant, the swelling goes away. I was using alum crystals combined with tom of mains but the toms does nothing for me but make my pits sticky.

I'm still using the alum crystal, I quite like it but would like a bit more odor protection. So far I'm not really impressed with the home made stuff. I feels good on the skin but it did nothing to prevent odor. I really want to try diatomaceous earth but I'll have to order it online.

I think the variability of controlling sweat odor with deodorants is why antiperspirants dominate the market. If you plug up the sweat glands so they can't sweat, then there ain't nuthin' to get stinky. For me, the commercial deodorants work tolerably well, but even for me, they aren't a 100% surefire solution.

So far I'm a crystal fan, as the sweat I'm left with smells like me. Slightly sweet, and not offensive :) I've tried lots of other commercial deodorants with natural ingredients, like lichen, b/s, and lavender, but none have worked as well. I'm interested in what you find though, since I'm not eutopian scent free.

Just curious, have you tried to make your own crystals from alum powder? I wonder, could you add a tad of lav or some other EO, or would that interfere with crystal formation? The stuff I buy claims to have aloe which makes me think it's possible.

I just watched some talk show the other day with Julia Roberts as guest. She said she does not use antiperspirant or deodorant, she just washes/wipes a lot. Maybe carry around some sort of wipe?

EDIT- I just read a mini-article in my facebook feed about rubbing hand sanitizer under your arms to kill the bacteria if you forget deodorant. I wondered if carrying a small spray bottle of alcohol, perhaps mixed with a drop of EO, and spraying on bathroom breaks would not serve the same purpose. It would be very non-messy, and non-pore clogging.

Last edited:
Day two of home made deodorant left me with slightly red/itchy pits. I did shave yesterday so it possible the tender skin didn't like the baking soda.
The odor was reduced more from day 1 but I think thats from the alum crystal. I'm going to try just the crystal today, see if there is much of a difference.

I've tried using wipes and alcohol, just leaves me with alcohol scented smelly pits. Making your own alum crystal with EO is really interesting. I'll have to look into it.

Oh, can anyone recommend a powder that won't increase bacteria? I like using ladies monkey butt but it has cornstarch. I use it in my pits to make a nice dry feeling.

Just a suggestion, but Brambleberry has a deodorant base, and also a deodorant additive as well that can be used in soaps and deodorants. It may be worth looking into: http://www.brambleberry.com/Aluminum-Free-Deodorant-Base-P5685.aspx and http://www.brambleberry.com/Deodorant-Additive-P5514.aspx

As for me, I have a rotation of about 5 natural deodorants from my health-food stocked in my medicine cabinet. I have a 'system' where I use a different one each day to throw a bit of confusion into the camp of the little stink-causing bugs. So far, my 'system' has been serving me well. On especially hot days, I'll first apply a spritz of alcohol that I keep in a spray bottle, and then I let it dry before applying the deodorant.

IrishLass :)

Random thought: I wonder if adding some e wax to the recipe would help lessen the underarm staining issue some people are having. Seems it would help the oils to wash out of fabric easier.

Latest posts

Back