Cinnamon EO in CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boyago -- Not Lindy, but I'm chiming in anyway. I don't think you're going to find a single reference that will give you all the info you want, especially about how EOs and soap get along with each other.

If I was stranded on a desert island and could only take one EO reference book, I'd choose Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young. I also respect the information on Tisserand's website http://roberttisserand.com/ and the Nature's Gift website http://www.naturesgift.com/aromatherapytable.htm Aromaweb is worthwhile as a general overview http://aromaweb.com/

I've grown to be skeptical of information from most other authors in the essential oil and aromatherapy field, including Gatefosse, Valnet, Lawless, etc. The supposed properties of various EOs in these books (and many websites) appear to mostly be of the "I read it on the internet or in an older book, so it must be true" variety. I don't see much evidence of original scholarly research being done by most authors in this field. I'm not trying to say there are no nuggets of good information in these books (and websites), but I do find myself having to read them with a skeptical eye.

That's a pretty spendy piece of lit. I don't suppose you are familiar between the editions? Normally for a text book not being used for a class I would assume minimal differences but this one is 13 years and a change in the second author makes me think they are indeed different books.

Yes, I'd def spring for the 2nd edition -- lots of updates. And, yes, it's spendy, but if you're serious about learning more about EOs, this book is far less $$ than taking a class.

Awesome!

Lindy you seem to be a good person to ask, I need a good reference for EOs as all the information on the internets I can find about EO safety tends to conflict with other sites and often the most prevalent information are from the people pedaling EOs so they naturally stray away from the negative. Do you have any suggestions for books and or trusted references where I can learn more? Ideally I'd like a book that listed sensitivity issues, rates of use ect for soap and body products.

Most of my information came from my aromatherapy training. I did post a thread HERE that goes through the restricted oils.

Other than those you should be staying at 3% or lower for soaps and 1% for leave-on products.

There is a book called The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils by Julia Lawless that is one of my go-to books.

Thanks you both.

Lindy- are the percentages listed on the restricted list % of total weight for leave on products? For instance:

Bergamot oil - Expressed (bergamot orange)
Citrus aurantium ssp. bergamia
Phototoxic 0.4%

Most of my information came from my aromatherapy training. I did post a thread HERE that goes through the restricted oils.

Other than those you should be staying at 3% or lower for soaps and 1% for leave-on products.

There is a book called The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils by Julia Lawless that is one of my go-to books.

I haven't heard of mandarin petitgrain, so is that a single essential oil or is it mandarin and petitgrain EOs?

I've totally gone overboard with cinnamon before. My biggest recommendation is to use it as a hand, body, and foot soap... and NOT on your face. I don't let people use it that have overly sensitive skin, just to protect them when they're over. I often have various soap in the guest bath. Love cinnamon though!

I've totally gone overboard with cinnamon before. My biggest recommendation is to use it as a hand, body, and foot soap... and NOT on your face. I don't let people use it that have overly sensitive skin, just to protect them when they're over. I often have various soap in the guest bath. Love cinnamon though!

Likewise....i keep picking the cinnamon soap up to smell it, seriously smells like a candy heart! i love it

Back