Using gold leaf in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saswede

Reaction score
I had a brainwave (??!) to make a really special soap, so bought some gold leaf more than a year ago now - but I still haven't plucked up the courage to use the gold in some soap. My idea was to make some inserts, and partially cover them with the gold leaf, so that when you slice the soap you could see a "gold lining" around part of the insert ..... But I didn't have enough confidence in the idea to try it yet!

My concern is that even if you just get the gold leaf on your finger, it sticks to you and kind of "melts" into the skin .... so I'm not at all sure that you'd be able to see that there is gold in the soap. But as we edge towards Christmas, I'm starting to think about the idea again, so thought I'd raise the question here - has anyone ever used gold (or silver) leaf in soap? And if so, did it "melt" / disappear into the soap?

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I occasionally use gold leaf in my cake decorating. It is very delicate and I don't imagine it would come through IN the soap. However, I think it'd look amazing on top of the soap. Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Using it on t he soap surface was my plan B, TVivian! I'd love to try using it in the soap ..... but don't want to waste the gold leaf.

Last edited:
"Real" gold leaf won't melt in soap but I believe the kind you find in craft stores contains or is a kind of plastic and it seems it would melt. It would be great if it didn't. Let us know how it goes.

You can give it a try in a small batch but I think I'd save it to use for adding a gorgeous touch to my soap packaging/wrapping (ie. on the band or on the shrinkwrap in a festive shape).

It is 24 carat gold leaf - but as it's so fine, it's very fragile and difficult to work with. And if you just rub it on your finger it "disappears" ......

Will definitely report back if I feel brave enough to try it. But suspect that I'll end up using it on huge surface of some Christmas soaps!

Yes, real gold leaf completely disintegrates and turns into a powder when handled.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I too am looking forward to your experiment. I think it would be awesome on top of soap..

Wow, that would be one expensive soap! But it will probably look amazing, I'm curious how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back