making candles with bees wax? but how?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green soap

Reaction score
My first candles were a failure. Here is what I did:

I placed a wick and some bees wax chunks into three 4 oz mason jars. I put those on a hot oven stone, in a warm oven (170C). The wax melted and I had to secure the wick so it would not fall to the side. That was really tricky, and I wish I knew an easy way. So far so good, I did get some things resembling candles.

So we tried burning the candles and they do not burn! I read somewhere later that one needs to add a little oil (10 to 20%?) to bees wax in order for them to burn. The little bit that burned smelled heavenly, like honey. I really wish I could make one that burns!

DH wants me to try again (he loves candles). I searched and searched on goggle, and this is how I found the crappy technique I described, which does not work. I did like the fact that the bees wax melts by itself on the mason jars and one does not have to mix and melt on a stove top. However, it does not work, the candles do not burn. I also had a really hard time getting the wick to stay in the center.

So I am coming here hoping that someone who makes real candles has some advice for me. Any good tutorial you can recommend on making bees wax candles?

Also, I am only interested in bees wax (I got a good deal from a local bees keeper and have lots of it) but I would be willing to add oil to it if it makes it burn. What kind of oil and how much?

So for once google did not work for me. I would love some advice or pointers from real chandlers, and thanks in advance!

What kind & size of wick are you using?
Anne-Marie has some tutorials on beeswax candles. You can find the links to them on the BB site http://www.brambleberry.com/Candles-W3.aspx

I've done a couple beeswax candles before and never added extra oils. I think it has a lot to do with just getting your candle hot enough to burn the beeswax.

Thanks Genny. I am using hemp wicks that I found. How do I measure the size? the thickness? they do feel rather thick, compared to the soy wax candles we have. I read that hemp is really good for wicks, but maybe different wicks for different waxes? I am clueless. The bees wax also split in the middle, where the wick is. I could not get enough heat to make it burn.

I will look at the tutorials now as DH is pinning for some bees wax candles. Thanks again.

Hi,

Recently I did some research and reading about making beeswax candles also, although I was looking to make votive candles. I didn't come across anything that said to add any oils. What I did read was that a beeswax candle needs to cool very slowly and it was advised that the candle be placed in an oven (no heat on, but pilot light if a gas oven), otherwise they can crack. From what I gathered, it is a cotton wick that is commonly used.

The wax melted and I had to secure the wick so it would not fall to the side. That was really tricky, and I wish I knew an easy way.

I normally use little metal poultry lacers to keep a wick in line ... using two of them, I place one on each side of the wick across the candle and it keeps the wick in place until the candle has hardened.

Kathy
scentedcrafts.blogspot.com

Rather than trying to do it in the oven why not set up a double boiler type of set up? You can use a measuring cup to melt your oils and then dip your wick with the tabs already attached. Place in the centre of your container then use the poultry lacers like Birdcharm said or even a chopstick to hold the wick in the centre. I would do that after you pour though to make it easier to do your pour. I've been doing some beeswax candles and I find they burn absolutely wonderfully without any additives. It sounds like it could be your wick because the other things about beeswax is you need to be burning a little hotter.

Since this is an old thread you may already have come up with a solution that worked for you....

Thank you Lindy. I have not resolved the issue yet, but just got a few thick cotton wicks from BB, which I hope will work better. I think using a double boiler will be easier than the oven too, so will try this way.

I also dip the wicks in the melted beeswax and then set them in place prior to my pour. Are the wicks you have pre-waxed? If not then put the wicks into melted wax and then lay them out on some paper towel. Are they tabbed or do you need to do that? Once they're set up and tabbed then you are still going to want to dip them in the hot wax and place. It will take the place of the glue dots.

My next bees wax candle was a little better, but still far from 'good enough'.

I purchased some wicks from Bambleberry, based on the table they have. According to their table, the Wu-450 Red Cotton Candle Wicks should have been good for a 3 inch diameter candle. I did add about 5-10% of grape seed oil to the bees wax (I though it would help prevent the cracking?). I used a 3 inch diameter 8 oz mason jar, and as the candle burned, the wax pool was only one inch (it was supposed to be 3 inches according to BB' chart), so I have a one inch hole burned trough the middle of my 3 inch diameter candle.

On the positive side, the light had a wonderful quality, and the scent of honey is just wonderful. You can smell the honey when the candle is off too.

So I will try again, I am determined to get good bees wax candles. I am getting local bees wax at a good price and we both love the stuff.

I think BB gives this information for some 'generic' wax, and perhaps bees wax is a lot harder. So I will buy more wicks. I also got mason jars specially for candles, and they have a smaller diameter. So I will try again using the same wick, and if this is not satisfactory I will order the thicker cotton wicks.

Lindy I though they were pre-waxed, but I will dip the wicks in the hot wax next time, it looks like it cannot hurt!

here is the link to the containers I got. They are even cuter 'in person'.

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item/G265

So I will keep trying and reporting back. Any further advice on bees wax candle is much appreciated!

I forgot to mention, this time I melted the wax using a double boiler (re-designated an old camping pot for that purpose). I secured the wick to the bottom of the jar simply adding a little molten wax to it. It held securely and stayed in the middle, no problem with the wick placement this time. Then just poured the molten wax and it was fine, really easier actually. Now if I can just get the wax pool diameter to be closer to the candle diameter I'll be happy.

THIS is the chart I use. It shows beeswax on its own. They really know their stuff at Canwax and since I'm Canadian it's where I order a lot of my candle supplies.

Back