Not a good soaping day - Gremlins at my house!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikindred

Reaction score
Decided to use some fragrances that I had ordered a few months back to create a new soap this morning....that was the start of my demise.

I used my "go to" recipe that I have used for at least 5 batches and have never had a problem but today, was something different. My recipe is

Castor 5%
Olive Oil 60%
Shea Butter 10%
Palm Kernel Flakes 15%
Coconut Oil 10%

Lye 12.29 oz.
Aloe Vera Juice 24.58 oz

For the first time, I mixed my fragrance with my oils and added a little Coconut Milk (powder form) and Tussah Silk to my lye. Once I started to mixed them together, they seized within minutes. Now I will say that my fragrance was Patchouli and Pink Grapefruit and this was my first time using those fragrances. I had plans to make Brown and Pink swirls using the in the pot swirling but I never had a chance to get anything in but the brown :(

I was able to muscle it into the mold but it doesn't look pretty at all..it is quite ugly being just brown soap with a few speckles in it....but it smells wonderful! I do not like Patchouli but I took the advice of the forum and mixed it with another fragrance and it made a world of difference. I guess I will wait for it to come out of the oven to see exactly how ugly it is later.

Oh well, no more soaping today...one failed batch is enough.

Latest posts

Back