Re-fragrancing MP base?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenF185

Reaction score
Hello! I just made my first few test soaps using a clear glycerin base and some fragrance oil. However, when i popped them out of the mold the smell is too faint. Bc it was my first time, I was scared to go to strong and then it give me a headache! My question is, can I remelt the batch I just made and add more oil when it is melted, or will that mess up the fragrance that is currently in the soap (which is not much at all). THank you!

In this case since the fragrance is already incorporated into the soap I don't think the flashpoint is a worry. Don't work near an open flame when soaping and you won't have to worry about flashpoint at all.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=50083&highlight=flashpoint

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=409116&postcount=24

The only rule about flashpoint is that it means that is the temperature at which the vapors can ignite if exposed to a spark or flame. It actually means very little in soaping.

Sorry, I wasn't worried about safety - rather about preserving the fragrance scent itself by not burning it off. I guess I'm not using the proper terminology for that... what would be the correct term?

Not to worry :) It is a very common misconception in soaping that flashpoint (or exceeding it) will burn off the fragrance and it will totally evaporate out of your soap, and that is just not true. Some fragrances are more volatile than others, but the ones that fade or what-have-you usually do so for reasons other than temperature or only in combination with temperature.

What I was saying (and linked to since others can explain it so much better than I) is that flashpoint is only a safety concern, and that is only if exposed to a spark or flame. It has almost nothing to do with the scent evaporating or sticking. I routinely hot process and stir my fragrance in to very hot soap batter and use about half the recommended amount for CP and have great results. If my low flashpoint fragrances vaporized when they hit the batter I wouldn't get good results.

Sorry to the OP for the slight derail, I would like to reiterate what shari said, whether you can smell them or not, the maximum usage rate should never be exceeded. As long as you stay within those guidelines yes you can remelt your soap and add more scent.

Hope that clears up any confusion, like I said, others explain it better than I can.

Latest posts

Back