Teacup candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasha

Reaction score
I've only just dabbled in candle making, but i came across this tutorial and thought that i had to give this a try. Anyone made these before? I think i'm going to head to the thrift store to find me some tea cups.

gt02decmsl_teacupcandles_l.jpg

I just saw a youtube video on that. I love teacups! I have yet to make my first candles (hopefully next weekend!) but I definately want to give this a try at some point.

Oooh! I really like this idea. I wasn't interested in making candles before but this has changed my mind. Thanks for sharing the pic and the link! :D

I made some a couple of weeks ago, so easy. I used Lychee and Black Tea, White tea and Ginger in them and put little jingler tags attached to the handle with the scent on it.

I used to do these way back when I made candles. Make sure that you're getting cups that can withstand a flame and heated wax. Or at least make sure you test the cups & candles before giving any away. You'd think that cups that were made to hold something hot like tea would be able to withstand hot wax and a flame, but sometimes they don't and they crack. I had it happen to a couple cups that I was testing.

These would make such cute gifts! Maybe in a gift set with some herbal tea and some tea scented soaps.

I made some as well but had frosting on top. I couldn't make a lot because of not having enough teacup for a great price. I mostly buy my teacup from the second hand store.~I'm trying to make money not spend money. I sell mines for $15. Not bad sold a lot of them.

May I ask what kind of wax and what size of wick do you all use for teacups. I have quite a few and would love to do them for myself but was not sure about the wax or wick. Thanks

You have to use a container wax - one that sticks to the sides. I use Ecosoya CB Advanced and as for wicks it all depends on the diameter of the top of the cup. You have to do some testing to see if they burn correctly with the wick that gets put in, I can't give you a wick size that will do the lot - there isn't one. Here is a link you can read and work out what you'll need - http://www.candlescience.com/learning/wicking-container-candles.php

These are on my "to-do" list, actually pretty close to the top. Right now I am doing some experimenting with beeswax and loving the results.

thanks for the reply Relle9, I have made candles in tins successfully, but was unsure of the wick sizing for cups ...since the sides are not straight.. I was afraid if I went with the diameter of the rim it would get too hot as the candle melted down and the sides got closer to the flame..did not want a dangerous situation..I think I will start with a wick size for the bottom and work up..I have used the Ecosoya and Golden Brands...I just have to work up the courage to try...

Back