Forest Green Oxide with Orange-Red Mica

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sort of a re-do on the layered natural and white I tried a couple of weeks ago. Made them for a friend who's had a bad week.

image.jpg

Very cool-looking! Instead of holly & berries, I see weirdly shaped animals with long tails on the 2 soaps on the right (they kinda remind me of the flying monkeys from the Wizard Of Oz), and the one on the left looks like a 3-legged animal with a horn growing out of its head. Or maybe I'm just seeing things because I'm hungry and need to go eat something. lol

IrishLass :)

Very cool-looking! Instead of holly & berries, I see weirdly shaped animals with long tails on the 2 soaps on the right (they kinda remind me of the flying monkeys from the Wizard Of Oz), and the one on the left looks like a 3-legged animal with a horn growing out of its head. Or maybe I'm just seeing things because I'm hungry and need to go eat something. lol

IrishLass :)

:-D LOL hope you got something to eat

Nice job Daryl! I like the colors and the placement.

I have to side with Lass. I see the monkeys now as well. Now I've got the Israel Kamakawiwo’ole’s version of Somewhere over the Rainbow stuck in my head. I'll be singing it all day. :p Pitfalls of being an old musician. Thanks Lass.....

awesome effect, love it! how did you do the layers/swirls if you don't mind sharing?

awesome effect, love it! how did you do the layers/swirls if you don't mind sharing?

Sure. It was easy. For a 13" loaf mold, I started with a single, thick layer of naked soap...about 1/3 of the total volume of soap. Then I poured about 3/4 cup for the green and 1/4 cup for the orange-red mica. Finally, I colored the remaining soap with TD.

On top of the naked soap, I poured a narrow stripe of green down the center, then an orange/red stripe on top of that. As the colored soap started to spread, I built up the sides by pouring stripes of TD colored soap on the outsides of the colored stripes. With the sides shorn up, I poured a final center layer of green on top of the orange....sort of like a green/orange/green sandwich. Finally, I eased the remaining TD colored soap (the remaining 1/3 of the total soap volume) into a top layer.

For the swirl, I slid a hanger down the side and along the bottom to get under the color and pulled up a few times in a curling motion.

Hope that's clear. Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Sure. It was easy. For a 13" loaf mold, I started with a single, thick layer of naked soap...about 2/3 of the total volume of soap. Then I poured about 3/4 cup for the green and 1/4 cup for the orange-red mica. Finally, I colored the remaining soap with TD.

On top of the naked soap, I poured a narrow stripe of green down the center, then an orange/red stripe on top of that. As the colored soap started to spread, I built up the sides by pouring stripes of TD colored soap on the outsides of the colored stripes. With the sides shorn up, I poured a final center layer of green on top of the orange....sort of like a green/orange/green sandwich. Finally, I eased the remaining TD colored soap (the remaining 1/3 of the total soap volume) into a top layer.

For the swirl, I slid a hanger down the side and along the bottom to get under the color and pulled up a few times in a curling motion.

Hope that's clear. Thanks for asking.

thanks so much Daryl... i want to try this technique sometimes. i really like the effect it creates!

I'm thinking it might actually be better to let the top and bottom color stripes (in this case green) bleed all the way to the sides leaving the middle strip in the middle. That would call more attention to the separation between the natural and TD white layers. Yes?

Beautiful! I wouldn't change a thing, I first thought of Holly, and only saw animals after looking closer. I think your friend will be very happy!

Not that I believe my little riff on swirling is worthy of a name, but just for fun and based on the comments about this and previous, similar one, I shall offer it to you as the "Rorschach Swirl." [insert bow from the waist here].

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back