about weight on the label

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggonegardener

Reaction score
Ok, so my state requires that any time I list a weight on an item for sale that item must be weighed on a certified scale. Probably pretty common. I also understand that the weight must be on the bar for sale.

Here's my question. I read here that several folks weigh the batch and list the weight of the lightest bar on the label. I wonder if that would fly with the state department of agriculture (the entity that certifies my scales). I also wonder if you worry at all about longer term loss of weight to water loss as the soap continues to cure out over time. So you do your initial cure and cut and weigh and label and then your soap is a slower seller and it loses some additional water and weight. Does this concern you? Your label may no longer be accurate?

I am just thinking about labeling. I don't sell. Just thinking for the possibility WAY down the line.

TIA

Rene

First, there are two methods of labeling, oz for soap, lotion bars etc. and liquid oz for lotions, shampoos, etc. I weigh each bar and bottle and round off the oz. to the lowest round number. Soap loses moisture the longer it sits, so to be on the safe side, I label it lower than the actual weight. If your soap doesn't sell righty away, make sure to weigh it again and reflect the weight on the label before selling.

From what I have gathered you can be over in weight, you just cant be under. I label all of my bars at 4.5 oz, when in reality they range from 4.8 to 6.25 when I package them (60 days cured). I have set bars aside and list a date/weight every month or so to see how much weight lose there is. My bars should never break the 4.5 oz range which makes me feel safe and I like people to be happy with their purchase. Imagine buying something that says 4.5 oz and you have a 6 oz gem! Any bars that are under 4.8 oz I set aside for personal use and for gifts.

But for your state law compliance you will need details. I would contact the department in charge to get details. Soap may be exempt, but I doubt cosmetics are. Here is the contact info (http://wyagric.state.wy.us/).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back