Facial soap for very oily acne prone skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I've looked up other posts about facial bars, but I mostly found posts about gentle and moisturizing bars. I'm actually looking for a recipe that is somewhat drying and would be good for someone (me) with extremely oily, acne prone skin.

I've been using my salt bar on my face for the past few weeks (I don't have the recipe handy but I know it's about 80% CO and 20% castor - I think - superfatted). Anyway, it is working pretty well however when the salt gets in my eyes it BURNS like a ----- and it always seems to get in my mouth too. YUCK!

I want to try a new recipe without salt and see how it works. I know I should have a higher percentage of coconut oil, probably some clay, tea tree oil, lavender, and.... any suggestions? Most people might find what I'm looking for to be overly harsh/drying, but my face can handle a good beating - LOL.... it is super DUPER oily.

Any suggestions? I think I am going to attempt this tomorrow!

Thanks!

I too have oily skin. It's a pretty tricky problem. If I dry my skin out too much, it goes into oil overproduction mode making the problem ultimately worse. If I use a soap that is too gentle or fatty, the oil doesn't get washed away and I get clogged pores.

I wish I could find something to level it out a bit.

Same here. Just made a spearmint soap yesterday and spearmint is suppose to be really good for oily skin i'll let you know how it works after i use it.

Just be careful because if you dry it out too much, your body will produce more oil to make up for it :?

Try adding some Bentonite clay to what you are talking about, CO, higher superfat, lavender, etc.

I have combination skin and have been also doing a clay mask with Bentonite clay once a week, which is all my sensitive skin can handle. It is AWESOME! My face has not broken out since starting that.

LJA said:
E,
What's in the mask? Distilled water and clay? I have really oily skin too. I should try a mask.

I just mix some Bentonite clay with tap water. (The label says you can use witch hazel instead of water. I have not done that because my face is super sensitive.) You have to get the technique, though. Otherwise, the mud ends up super clumpy. I leave it on for about 30 minutes. My face gets all tingly and you can feel it pulling tight! I LOVE it! It is my Sunday morning routine. Green face while DH is at work, cup o' joe, and soap research!

I took a pic for my DH while he was at work. I am amazed he came home after that :shock: :shock: :shock:

LJA said:
So gonna try it...thanks! I swear, some days you could fry an egg on my skin...lol.

Good luck! The jar says you can apply it something like three times a week. I don't dare, though. Might work good for you! It is a bit of a mess, but I really like the way my face feels after.

My husband has extremely oily and acne prone skin. This soap is too drying for my skin but works wonders on him. It cleans the oil and debris off his skin without completely stripping the acid mantle so he doesn't experience an over-production of oil.
It's Coconut & Cactus Leaf Soap. 100% CO. For a 3lb batch I puree 1 cactus leaf (pls don't forget to remove the spines) :shock: and use that as part of the water. It has a very "green" scent and it will retain its scent.

I've used this face mask too, but I put a teaspoon of honey in it, stops it being so drying and helps it stick a bit better too!

I did the mask last night (my daughter and I did dueling face masks while making potato salad...lol) and it seemed to work okay, but yeah....clump-o-rama.
Thanks for the idea! Happy Easter, everyone. :D

Chay said:
My husband has extremely oily and acne prone skin. This soap is too drying for my skin but works wonders on him. It cleans the oil and debris off his skin without completely stripping the acid mantle so he doesn't experience an over-production of oil.
It's Coconut & Cactus Leaf Soap. 100% CO. For a 3lb batch I puree 1 cactus leaf (pls don't forget to remove the spines) :shock: and use that as part of the water. It has a very "green" scent and it will retain its scent.

I gotta try this one... my skin gets SUPER oily. What's your superfat percentage in this recipe?

LJA said:
I did the mask last night (my daughter and I did dueling face masks while making potato salad...lol) and it seemed to work okay, but yeah....clump-o-rama.
Thanks for the idea! Happy Easter, everyone. :D

I put a couple of Tbs into a bowel and then slowly add the clay and wisk like crazy. You don't need to make it thick. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. :oops: My bad! Dual facemasks making potato salad! My DH would have never come home!

Vivcarm: I like the honey idea. I am going to try it.

Danielito said:
Chay said:

I gotta try this one... my skin gets SUPER oily. What's your superfat percentage in this recipe?
For his particular recipe I do not superfat but only per his request. I would try at least a 5%.

Re: Oily Skin

Jaaret said:
For an anti-acne soap, I recommend adding clay to the batch tand using a blend of essential oils that have anti-bacterial properties: Geranium, Juniper, Lavender, Lemongrass and Tea Tree

Yes mask are great and use alot these eo's work miracles

Latest posts

Back