Please critique my acne/oily/problem skin recipe idea...?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topcat

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been developing a facial soap bar along these lines and would love some constructive criticism and any ideas you may have to help me get it right :wink:

So far my oils are:-

CO 50%
OO 20%
RBO 10%
Neem Oil 5%
Shea Butter 5%
with possibly either Camellia Tea Seed Oil or Mustard Seed Oil or Grapeseed Oil making up the other 10%...?

I will be using some Aloe Juice in my liquid amount, adding Tussah Silk to my lye and some Green Tea Extract at trace. I have bought some Activated Charcoal capsules and will add 1 tsp ppo to my oils and possibly a little French Green Clay as well. My eos will probably be Litsea & Lavender.

Any suggestions? I am not sure what superfat to use....I usually go for 6%, however with the high amount of CO should I go higher? Or will that pose problems for oily skin? I don't really want it to be too drying as that can stimulate more oil production in skin. Will GM help if I don't superfat any higher?

Thanks in advance!

Tanya :) :wink:

Hi Tanya
:)
To date I have made four batches of soap specifically for problem skin.
Batch 1: Co/PKO/RBO and Castor. I used aloe vera for 50% of the water, and superfatted at 5%. I added some bentonite clay beads at trace and Tea Tree and Lavender Essential Oils.
This soap is lovely, it's hard, shiny, lathers beautifully, the tto and lavender are calming and cleansing at the same time. Sadly I am down to my last bar of this one so need to make some more this weekend. My sister is 12 years younger than me and she stole most of it!!

Batch 2: 75% Co/25% Sunflower. No colour, no fragrance, but I did use some canned coconut cream, for creaminess in the lather. This was a nice soap but not as nice.

Batch 3: 50% Co/Palm/PKO/Castor: Once again tea tree and lavender essential oils. My skin, and my son and my sisters skin all really respond to the tea tree oil, I add the lavender just to take the edge off of it. Next time I use it I am going to use some lemon myrtle with it just for something different. This soap was really really nice. Almost as good as the first one...

Batch 4: 50% Co/Palm/Sunflower/Castor, superfatted at 8%. Bentonite clay (not beads, just clay powder). This soap looks like cement, it's a really steely grey colour. Used old faithful tto and lavender in this again, as I made this specifically for my son and sister. The lather is lovely and creamy, I think from the clay, and it's an excellent shaving soap. It is so smooth and creamy. I had a big zit (hormonal) and I used that soap twice during the day just on that spot, the next day when I woke up it was totally gone!!

And I have made a 100% Coconut soap/15%SF with a charcoal swirl, but the charcoal I used is a bit scratch for the face.
And also, I know your kids are a bit older, but head lice are doing the rounds at Kalebs school, and I use this soap to wash his hair with. It leaves it lovely and clean, and he hasn't got the dreaded lice once. I think they hate the TTO. I have seen kids walking around scratching their heads and I think "stay away from him, we don't want your nits", but you know what kids are like, you can't watch them all day. But he hasn't gotten them once. I'm sure it's the soap!

Let me know how you go and what you decide to go with. I have heard that neem oil works wonders.

I made one for my daughter's skin and I used Tea Tree Oil and Litsea EOs.

Otherwise I just used a normal soap recipe which I like, no butters and such. It seems to work very well, her skin is smooth and not too dry.

I made a bug bar with neem, tea tree, citronella and I like it for an acne bar. :D

Thank you everyone for your replies :D

I have decided that I will leave the Green Tea Extract for a leave on product and definitely use the Neem Oil in this soap.

@ChrissyB - wow, so much helpful information! I think my soap will end up being a blend of your recipes!!! I will use TTO blended with my Litsea and Lavender too and the green clay. I love what RBO gives my soap so I will probably use that rather than Sunflower this time....thanks again!

@madpiano & Vinca Leaf - you have both confirmed for me that I need the TTO and the Neem - thank you!

@I love soap! - you post about oils has given me food for thought and I will definitely re-think my superfat oil ratio and possibly the Shea as well - thanks!

I love this forum - so many helpful and informative members here :D

Tanya :)

Tanya - please keep us updated on this - it sounds fascinating and I would really like to add something like this as well.

Thanks!
Lindy

And makeup is horrible it gets oily fast. i use powder foundation. Which i wear rarely

Back