Reckitt's Crown Blue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the test results are in.
First, i mixed some of the Crown Blue with some vinegar, and it fizzed, indicating that it does quite probably contain sodium carbo..i mean BIcarbonate :p @DeeAnna.
After that i powderized some of it in my mini mortar and pestle.
After checking roughly the amount needed, i dispersed 1/8th of a teaspon in a pound of coconut oil.
I then added lye and stickblended it.
The result is a faint-blue coloured soap (just what i wanted).
Only thing that kinda worries me are the very tiny blue specks (not visible on the fotos that i took with a potato).
Maybe next time i will put the colorant in the lye solution.
I will keep track and keep you posted.

fizz.jpg

pestle.jpg

dispersed.jpg

faint blue.jpg

Why not use ultramarine oxide? It's cheap and doesn't have the bicarbonate in it.

Thank you for your suggestion PenelopeJane, but i live on an island, not everything is available here. So i have to be resourceful and work with what i have.

And we're talking about only 1/8th of a teaspoon of bluing product PPO. That is 1/10th of a teaspoon of baking soda PPO (estimate). Baking soada is only weakly alkaline. So in the end it is negligible-ish.

Does anyone have a conversion for baking soda / lye?

Last edited:
Looks good. Next time, try mixing the powder with a a little bit of water to dissolve it and get out any lumps. I never mix oxides directly into the oil or the lye solution because it of the speckles.

Thank you for your suggestion PenelopeJane, but i live on an island, not everything is available here. So i have to be resourceful and work with what i have.

And we're talking about only 1/8th of a teaspoon of bluing product PPO. That is 1/10th of a teaspoon of baking soda PPO (estimate). Baking soada is only weakly alkaline. So in the end it is negligible-ish.

Does anyone have a conversion for baking soda / lye?
I would really not worry to much about adding more of the bluing. Many of us take for granted how easy it is to get products, when many of you cannot acquire them. I think you did a good job. If you can get your hands of blue food coloring try it for a nice lavender, at least after you see if you bluing goes lavender. It just may, but will still be pretty. You did very well

Looks good. Next time, try mixing the powder with a a little bit of water to dissolve it and get out any lumps. I never mix oxides directly into the oil or the lye solution because it of the speckles.

Good one! Thanks!

I would really not worry to much about adding more of the bluing. Many of us take for granted how easy it is to get products, when many of you cannot acquire them. I think you did a good job. If you can get your hands of blue food coloring try it for a nice lavender, at least after you see if you bluing goes lavender. It just may, but will still be pretty. You did very well

Thank you, i will also give food coloring a try. I have lived in Holland for quite a while and i also got used to being able to order anything online and get it delivered at my home the next day. I really miss that! Oh well, at least where ilive now i have nice weather every day (even that gets old after a while, hehe).

Latest posts

Back