Masterbatch, dual lye and Vinegar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the bottle says 5% vinegar, is that by weight or by volume?

Everyone seems to be adding and subtracting percentages willy-nilly, which is always risky when working with weighed solutions.

Acidity is by weight.

I don't think I'd say "willy nilly" exactly. Sometimes it takes awhile to fully understand a problem -- people have to "feel" their way into the solution. That's what I'm trying to encourage with my estimates.

"... I was assuming that you take, say, 1000g of vinegar and neutralize it to make a mix of "water" and sodium acetate...."

But, with respect, that's not what PJ did -- she said she added 96 g NaOH to 100 g vinegar.

"...Would you not be able to make a 45% solution with that?..."

You'd have to back-calculate how much of that 96 g of NaOH she added was converted to acetate. That will tell you how much of that NaOH is still available for making soap. In other words, is the NaOH consumed by the acetate reaction 48.5% - 45% = 3.5%? If so, then yes, you can make this solution the way she did it and get an effective 45% NaOH solution for making soap.

Most people, and I imagine PJ is among those, won't want to look at the problem in two steps - (1) neutralize the vinegar with NaOH and (2) add extra NaOH for their soap making masterbatch. They will want to measure vinegar, measure NaOH, mix the two, and know the % effective NaOH available for soaping, which is something less than the % total NaOH added to the mixture. The formula can be adjusted to spit out that number.

I can add neutralises vinegar if that will work. I have made that

The thing is I know how to convert and use a masterbatching at 50:50
I'd like the masterbatching of vinegar to be able to be measured out at 50:50 if possible.

Can I make 96g NaOH + 100g vinegar + 4 g water?
Or 96g NaOH + 100g vinegar + 4 g NaOH to neutralise the vinegar?

When the bottle says 5% vinegar, is that by weight or by volume?

Everyone seems to be adding and subtracting percentages willy-nilly, which is always risky when working with weighed solutions.

My vinegar is 4% not 5% like everyone else's vinegar sorry for the confusion.
I can buy apple cider vinegar but it says 6-8% so it's very annoying.

Open excel (((don't actually enter the speech marks, they are just there to show what you need to enter)))

In cell a1 put "45" and in b1 put "solution strength"

In a2 put "100" and in b2 put "required NaOH"

In a3 put "=(100/a1)*a2"

The = is needed to let excel know that a formula is coming.

You can now enter your solution strength in a1, your required lye in a2 and then in a3 it will tell you how much total solution you need

You might want to adjust the rounding or just round the solution amount yourself to get a more workable number.

TEG,
Can you please explain why I need a 45% solution?

Because you cannot have a 50% one.

NaOH needs 100g of water for 100g of NaOH. If you have 100g of water with something else already in there (sugar, salt, sodium acetate) then you won't be able to get 100g of NaOH in there - it simply will not dissolve.

The way I was coming at the problem was: I have vinegar. I add enough lye to the vinegar to neutralize it but no more than that. I work out an amount of lye that will dissolve and add that it in - that new solution strength should be entered in where I put 45 ( I had hoped it was clear that this was also just a number to use to test and demonstrate, like the required lye amount is also for you to change!)

Now, we would need to look at how much NaOH can be dissolved in 100g of your neutralized vinegar. Assume an 8% acid level, you would end up with x grams of sodium acetate which would take up a certain amount of space in the solution which would allow you to add in a certain amount of lye.

Latest posts

Back