A Cream Soap Tutorial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not yet made this - so I cannot really comment

However, I am desperately looking for a creamed soap - by whipped are you meaning the soap that you ultimately shape into a bar, and it floats in the water?

If you are meaning a cream soap - consistency like a really thick frosting - that you scoop out of a container to use - I would be interested in any recipes / experiences that you have had!

Thanks, C

No, not a floating soap - a scoop out of the container and use as soap. I have bought a pre made base and I have also bought a recipe from a lady on etsy DIYbathandbodyshop- Sandra with these ingredients Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Distilled Water, Broad Spectrum Preservate. It's called foaming bath butter, foaming bath whip and maybe other names as well.

No, not a floating soap - a scoop out of the container and use as soap. I have bought a pre made base and I have also bought a recipe from a lady on etsy DIYbathandbodyshop- Sandra with these ingredients Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Distilled Water, Broad Spectrum Preservate. It's called foaming bath butter, foaming bath whip and maybe other names as well.
No, this is not the same thing. This is a cream soap, not a whipped soap base.

Jane. I just tried “whipped soap”. (Really a cream soap based on what I have learned on this site) from humblebee and me.

https://www.humblebeeandme.com/diy-whipped-soap-base/

Note she alternates between calling it a whipped soap and a cream soap (sigh )

It turned out OK. Compare to the Pacha Whipped Body Scrub I give it a “B”. (I am trying to replicate the Pacha). Compared to Pacha the Humblebee version was insufficiently dense, so I will play with it more nd let you know what I experience. What appealed to me was that it did not need to “rot” and could be used right away.

Would love to share any experience and recipient with you that you care to share!

Best. Clarice

Last edited:
Jane. I just tried “whipped soap”. (Really a cream soap based on what I have learned on this site) from humblebee and me.

It turned out OK. Compare to the Pacha Whipped Body Scrub I give it a “B”. (I am trying to replicate the Pacha). Compared to Pacha the Humblebee version was insufficiently dense, so I will play with it more nd let you know what I experience. What appealed to me was that it did not need to “rot” and could be used right away.

Would love to share any experience and recipient with you that you care to share!

Best. Clarice
With my limited knowledge I would say you are after a foaming bath whip type product rather than a lye based one. The ingredients listed on the Pach site are not trad. soap. It's seems pretty much emollients, sugar, salt and preservatives with fragrance. But again I'm just new to all this.

With my limited knowledge I would say you are after a foaming bath whip type product rather than a lye based one. The ingredients listed on the Pach site are not trad. soap. It's seems pretty much emollients, sugar, salt and preservatives with fragrance. But again I'm just new to all this.

WOW - see - I don't know enough yet to decipher the Pacha ingredient list - thank you for doing that!!!! That explains the density thing - and DUH! why didn't I study it more instead of flailing around in the dark!!

THANK YOU @Jeboz - you have spurred completely new thinking! YAY!

Best. Clarice
These two ingredients -Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate called SCI and Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate are surfactants and can be purchased and made into a body whip by adding things like glycerin, water, some oils and your exfoliants and fragrance, etc.

Or there is creamed soap made by using both Sodium and Potassium Hydroxides with butters some coconut oil and stearic acid and low amounts of maybe olive oil. Usually made by hot process like a HP Liquid Soap, but then treated differently after the cooked period is done. The soap you linked to doesn't have a good mix of oils to give that creamy silky creamed soap that you are looking for and also won't hold the creamed soap texture you are after.

If you want to have a go at making Cream Soap with the two lyes do a search here and you will find a lot of good information to get you started.

There is a nice tutorial here for making creamed soap: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/a-cream-soap-tutorial.49652/

Thank you Lindy. It’s so very special when y’all share your wealth of information.

Guinevere

If you want to have a go at making Cream Soap with the two lyes do a search here and you will find a lot of good information to get you started.
Thank you so much!

I was able to order a booklet by Catherine Failor from The Sage website - it is a photocopied booklet, 40 pages long, that contains 5 recipes as well as Failor's instruction. I learned a LOT from it already, and am eager to make one of the recipes.

THANK YOU!

I stumbled upon this cream soap calculator today: http://www.soulgazersundries.com/calculator.html

It's not an online calc -- it is an Excel spreadsheet for use on your computer.

@DeeAnna - I tried this link and it is apparently dead. I have tried to find the entity 'soulglazersundries" with no success either.

Do you still have the spreadsheet, and is it something you can share? If not, i understand completely. Thank you for considering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Oh, gosh, this is a blast from the past! For situations like this, I search the Wayback Machine for dead URLs and see if they have an archived version.

Try this for the intro page for the calc -- https://web.archive.org/web/20150220102626/http://www.soulgazersundries.com/calculator.html

The trial version of the calc can be downloaded using this 2007 link: https://web.archive.org/web/2007022...ries.com/creamsoapcalculator.trialversion.xlt
It's password protected and can't be opened.

I was able to access the trial version by using the second link in @DeeAnna's post - @reinbeau I can email it to you.

When i tried to access the full version - by that I mean - tried to buy the full version - I was routed to an odd pay pal page that seemed dicey, so I backed off and did not go forward

Thanks

I am so happy to find this recipe! Cream soap is the loveliest thing! I wonder if there is anyone who can help me troubleshoot with a different recipe I used. Last year, just before the pandemic hit, I made a batch of cream (whipped soap) using a recipe provided by the gal over at Soaping 101. Soaping101 Recipes The recipe is in the link, called Cream Soap. It is wonderful soap.....but, after a year of curing, I still had some left. So I whipped it up with some water. (I think I used 3 oz cream soap and 2 oz boiled, cooled water.) It whipped up into gorgeous fluffiness! But when I used it, there was no lather. None! It is very creamy, but with none of the satisfying bubbles that remind me I'm getting clean. It wasn't like this the first couple of times I whipped the soap. Did I add too much water? Or can cream soap "rot" too long? Thanks in advance for any input you might have. I am excited to try the cream soap recipe listed here!

I am new to soap making can I use any oil at the super cream stage instead of glycerin or is the glycerine important (I wanted to add Tamanu oil. Or is it something that should be added back at stage 1 and sub out a bit of the almond or other oils there? Thanks to all

This looks like a great shaving soap for men or ladies to use. You want that slick glide for the razor so it will give as close a shave as possible.

Why is the term "rotted" used? That has a strong negative connotation to it. Wouldn't sequester or letting it age be better terminology?

I know one thing, it wouldn't be used in any marketing literature that's for sure...

Yes folks! Our shaving cream has been exclusively rotted for THREE MONTHS to ensure a great shaving experience! LOL! 🤔 :thumbs: 😁 😉 :rolleyes:

I am new to soap making can I use any oil at the super cream stage instead of glycerin or is the glycerine important (I wanted to add Tamanu oil. Or is it something that should be added back at stage 1 and sub out a bit of the almond or other oils there? Thanks to all
The glycerin is an important ingredient at this stage for it's emollient properties. Helps to maintain the creaminess of the mixture too. Don't skip on it.
Add your Tamanu oil in stage 1, you'll be fine. Subbing it for one of the other oils shouldn't be an issue.

This looks like a great shaving soap for men or ladies to use. You want that slick glide for the razor so it will give as close a shave as possible.
:thumbs: We are most fortunate to have Lindy as a (now inactive) member of SMF.
Why is the term "rotted" used?
The term was origniated by Catherine Failor in a book pubished in 2001. Get a load of that price. It knocked my socks off while recently researching the subject. There's a lot of secrecy surrounding the making of cream soap. Back in the day before Facebook, there was a Yahoo Group devoted to it. The members were sworn to secrecy.

MAKING CREAM SOAP

Welcome to the Forum! Please go to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself, especially your level of experience and what drew you to the Wonderful World of Soapmaking. This will help us to help you. If you want help with anything in particular, it’s best to start a new thread. Mention what you need help with in the Title. Make sure to post it in the appropriate forum.

FYI: Cream soap is an advanced technique. It's best to learn the basics first and then stretch your creativity to include more advanced techniques. Go to the Beginner's Forum and check out the thread, "Learn to Soap Online". Scroll down to LOVIN' SOAP - COLD PROCESS SOAP MAKING GUIDE - An Excellent overview of everything about making CP soap. There you will learn most of what we talk about here.

Since you mention "Tamanu Oil", I'm guessing you have something in mind to address a skin problem. ??? If so, tamanu oil might be a good oil to use, but not in soap which is a wash-off product. Since it's expensive, it's best to use it in a lotion or cream or balm or just straight as is, where it can do the most good. This was the advice in a recent thread -- that I can't seem to remember the title of just now. 🤔

HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

Back