What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we'll settle in with some mounds bars cocktails! :)

just heard its only gonna be half of what they said!!! I hope they are right--I was just out shoveling a path to take the dog out--it is some wet heavy snow. oh yeah ya gotta try the mounds bars doesn't even taste like booze but I am finding a person can only drink so much hot chocolate :)

100% Coconut Oil 20% Superfat with Fine Sea Salt
img_20190309_154531_640-jpg.37337

Differing salt percentages: 0%, 25%, 50%, 100% (left to right)

I unmoulded these a little early to be able to cut the bars I'd made in half, which is why they look a little 'beaten'.
Thanks to those who helped me with this, and to all of you here for inspiring me with all of your soap photos!

made a tube of confetti soap with pineapple/cilantro FO, my it smells good in here but...………………...I weighed it out in a little plastic solo cup and I was in a hurry when I got to the point of adding it----yes I "did" add it-----there was a little bit left in the glass and when I went back to clean up, the fo had melted the cup and I have stuck plastic on my counter. I guess I need to stick to using them for the micas. I also made and orange soap and a tall and skinny 1/2&1/2.

Was so excited. A friend gave me a bunch of soap supplies that she never used: Lye, GV shortening, castor oil, molds. I was busy pre-batching oils and had 3 batches drawn up and labeled. Then realized she had bought regular GV shortening instead of original. All 3 batches are basically ruined.

100% Coconut Oil 20% Superfat with Fine Sea Salt
img_20190309_154531_640-jpg.37337

Differing salt percentages: 0%, 25%, 50%, 100% (left to right)

I unmoulded these a little early to be able to cut the bars I'd made in half, which is why they look a little 'beaten'.
Thanks to those who helped me with this, and to all of you here for inspiring me with all of your soap photos!

Good luck with that soap. I've never believed in it after my first week here and reading 100 times how SF just goes down the drain. I'll be very curious to hear how your skin tolerates 100% CO. I doubt mine would.

Was so excited. A friend gave me a bunch of soap supplies that she never used: Lye, GV shortening, castor oil, molds. I was busy pre-batching oils and had 3 batches drawn up and labeled. Then realized she had bought regular GV shortening instead of original. All 3 batches are basically ruined.

Oh aaarrgghhhhh!!!!!
Funny how nothing good ever follows, "I was so excited. ..."

Good luck with that soap. I've never believed in it after my first week here and reading 100 times how SF just goes down the drain. I'll be very curious to hear how your skin tolerates 100% CO. I doubt mine would.
Thanks Meena, yes, I'd been warned that 100% CO may not be nice for my skin, but I was interested in seeing what CO behaved like compared to OO (what a difference!) and someone suggested making salt bars out of it. This way gives me an experience and I can see what the varying levels of salt are like, these bars will be hidden away for a long time though. Next weekend I graduate past single-oil soaps!

I made some little tiny leaves and flowers to go on top of soap. I used some silicone moulds I bought ( I think they were for icing cakes). I also plucked a few leaves out of the garden and slopped a bit of batter on them while I was at it - to see if that works just as well. Hoping they all turn out OK - or at least some of them, so i can try them.

I checked in on my curing soaps, took off all the 90 degree edges with a veggie peeler, and wrapped the oldest ones in gift wrap from Dollar Tree just cos. ;) This freed up space in my curing bins, so I reorganized them, and now have room for more soap! ! :D

Also, cut off a piece of an end piece of my Henna and Indigo soap for face wash testing, and I like it so far. This 9th soap has just 7.6% CO and a cleansing of 5. I can't remember if it was @lenarenee , @cmzaha , or someone else who wanted to know about the lather and color, can't find my note!! But at 13 days, the lather is thick and creamy, and completely white, no color transfer.

ETA: It was @SaltedFig, and pics have been uploaded to original thread here https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/cut-the-hp-soap-i-made-last-night.74024/page-2#post-756410

@Dean , I'm going to leave the jury out another week to be sure, but I went 9 minutes before putting 1/3 normal amount of face cream on, so was pleased with the 1st use.

The C-0 is still pretty soft, so that needs at least till around the 20th before I test it. The salt water didn't make any difference out of the chute, like it usually does. I wonder if the bicarbonate soda in the faux seawater changes what salt does in a batch?

Last edited:
I checked in on my curing soaps, took off all the 90 degree edges with a veggie peeler, and wrapped the oldest ones in gift wrap from Dollar Tree just cos. ;) This freed up space in my curing bins, so I reorganized them, and now have room for more soap! ! :D

Also, cut off a piece of an end piece of my Henna and Indigo soap for face wash testing, and I like it so far. This 9th soap has just 7.6% CO and a cleansing of 5. I can't remember if it was @lenarenee , @cmzaha , or someone else who wanted to know about the lather and color, can't find my note!! But at 13 days, the lather is thick and creamy, no bubbles noticed, and completely white, no color transfer.

@Dean , I'm going to leave the jury out another week to be sure, but I went 9 minutes before putting 1/3 normal amount of face cream on, so was pleased with the 1st use.

The C-0 is still pretty soft, so that needs at least till around the 20th before I test it. The salt water didn't make any difference out of the chute, like it usually does. I wonder if the bicarbonate soda in the faux seawater changes what salt does in a batch?

Isn’t that overly brave to test a soap on your face?

I made some little tiny leaves and flowers ... I used some silicone moulds I bought ... I also plucked a few leaves out of the garden and slopped a bit of batter on them while I was at it - to see if that works just as well..

Have you ever considered getting silicone or liquid rubber and making your own molds? I think that would be right up your alley. ;) I've been tempted to try it, just not pulled the trigger yet. Anyway, I'm afraid those batter covered leaves are gonna turn to mushy brown yuck. I hope not. :)

Last edited:
Isn’t that overly brave to test a soap on your face?

LOL, I never thought of it ... Probably because all my soaps are designed for face and have been better than my old regular soaps. How would I have known that before testing, though? Just my formulation and some luck. :)

My body skin wouldn't be an accurate test for face soap, since the rest of my skin can tolerate a wider range of formulas. In fact, anything my face doesn't love is going in the shower, so I have soap for a few months. ;)

Last edited:
@KiwiMoose was just yesterday looking at some leaves and was thinking if I can spread some soap batter on them and let them dry, then peel off the leaf and get a leaf shaped imprint. Like they do chocolate. I'm excited to see what you've made!

I test on my face as well. My body actually likes a high coconut oil soap but my face is the one that's been needing trials. The rest of my family members report looking and feeling better since they started using my soap but I can't say the same for myself. Go figure..

True. So, I wasted most of the other supplies she gave me, and a couple of hours.
Call me stupid but why would that ruin your batches? What's in GV shortening? Couldn't you reverse engineer your recipe?

If anyone is familiar with Love Raw from the UK? They have these powders to make smoothies or mix with your food, and I happen to have an old pack called Skinfood. Since no one has opened it and it's expiring soon I decided to infuse the powder in olive oil.

So earlier today I made soap with that infusion, at 50% of my oils. Raw soap and even the gelled soap looked like my sandalwood soap but I'm gonna wait til I unmold to see and show you guys what it looks like.

Latest posts

Back