Oldest soap in history

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
1980. I was 8 years old when Mt. saint Helens in Washington state exploded. It was devastating and sent a huge plume of ash into the air that covered many states in the Pacific Northwest.
Here in the Idaho panhandle we got around 1/4" of ash that coated absolutely everything. My grandmother saved quite a lot of the ash and later that year, taught me how to make soap.
It was a simple lard soap with some ash added to help scrub through grease since my grandfather was a tractor mechanic.
Today when I was visiting grandma, I found one of these bars and asked if I could have it.

Proudly presenting the first soap I ever made, 33 years later. Still good with no sign of rancidity after all this time.
Its ugly, has ugly lather and is drying but thats ok, there is a lot of memories in this bar of soap.

2hft5qg.jpg

15fg50w.jpg

npm3pv.jpg

Grandma still has some ash so I'm going to make my own version of this. I think my DH would really like it, the ash is great for mechanics soap.

That has to be the coolest thing ever!! Being that I am studying Enviro. Science that just tickles me pink!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I always wanted a ash necklace, they are such a pretty shade of green. The soap is kinda greenish/grey but after all these years its taken on a brownish tint.
I think when I make my ash soap, I'll add a bit of green clay.

That's so cool! What great memories having that soap has brought you and will continue to. Continue saving it!!

That is just so cool! I remember the eruption. I lived in Calgary and all of the city got covered in a light layer of ash....

That is so wonderful! I remember it too. The twin cities were strangely cloudy and the weather was odd as a result.

Thanks everyone, I figured you all would appreciate the age and history. It feels a lot like lava soap and I'm sure thats where grandma got the idea.

I'm kinda torn about what to do with this bar. Part of me wants to save it forever but part of me want to shred it and add it to my "lava" soap when I get around to making it.

I'm kinda torn about what to do with this bar. Part of me wants to save it forever but part of me want to shred it and add it to my "lava" soap when I get around to making it.

Noooo!! You have to keep it forever!

Agreed, you can't shred up that bar! Hold onto it!

I was hoping it was some archeologic find.

I've got a Twin Cake of Ivory still in its wrapper I thought might be valuable some day as a prop. It's right next to one full and one empty 6 pack of Power Master malt liquor.

Latest posts

Back