Quick & Easy Wax Melter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniej

Reaction score
I don't normally make candles but I got a couple orders for them... I've made them before in a pot on the stove but this is time consuming and always ends up making a mess. I looked for a wax melter but they're a little pricier than I can justify for making so few candles.

On ebay I saw someone selling small Presto pots with a valve epoxied into the side. I thought this was brilliant so I decided to make one for myself. I got the biggest heated pot I could find and drilled a 3/4" hole in the bottom-side. It needed to be filed open a little more to fit a 1/2" pipe nipple but no big deal. I filed off the non-stick material ~1/4" around the hole, both inside and out for the epoxy to stick to. After the pipe nipple was epoxied in, I put a ball valve on it with an elbow on the "out" side of the valve so the wax flows straight down into the containers.

This was easy to make and works excellent. It's faster than melting wax on the stove, the temperature is self-regulating so you don't have to worry about burning the wax or getting it so hot that you flash off the fragrance and the valve pours right into the containers preventing spillage all over the floor and on the sides of the containers.

I have a presto pot with a spigot in the studio. Still in the box. I make candles only on a small scale so haven't had a need. But someday...

Back