Melt and Pour Soap Base

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalsignum

Reaction score
What is the ideal temperature to cook melt and pour soap base from scratch? Is it the alcohol that makes it translucent?

Most melt and pour base is not made with alcohol, but with propylene glycol and glycerin. I cut my M&P base into small chunks and microwave it with 30 second bursts, stirring after each heating until the base is melted. Check with your supplier concerning the melting point of their base.

What is the ideal temperature to cook melt and pour soap base from scratch? Is it the alcohol that makes it translucent?

Ok you have asked all these questions about whitening and melt and pour before. Here is the thread:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=62245

What you want to do is not going to work with lye based soap. Cold process, hot process or melt and pour. They all are alkaline products, and the additives you want to use are acidic. When you add them, it will lower the pH to the point that the soaps will break.

It might work with detergent bars, but I don't know many members here that can help you with that.

Back