de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the update, JasmineTea. I haven't ordered my babbasu yet, because I keep thinking I might want something else as well, so the Soapers Choice webpage is still an open tab in my browser. I plan to finalize that tomorrow (or maybe later tonight) so I can give this a try asap. I received my order of MgOH & the deodorant tubes from Amazon the day before we left for our last trip, with plans to order the babbasu upon our return. Then the website was down for days (maybe a couple of weeks, not really sure).

Anyway, good to read one more positive feedback on the use of, as well as your ration.

Does your husband find it as effective as you do? I was wondering if men are experiencing the same effectiveness. Not to be sexist, just curious.

I made the Babassu/Magnesium Hydroxide 60/40 combo and gave it to my sons and daughter in laws. I added an ounce of refined shea butter, and a half ounce of beeswax and scant amount of bergamot and grapefruit essential oils -they loved it. I was a little concerned that it would firm up enough for a tube which is why I added the small amount of beeswax. The consistency was perfect. Thanks for all the awesome info. This was my first time making deodorant and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sorry I've been following this thread and I read back and forth a few times trying to find the answer, whats the 60/40 combo? I've seen a 16/1 ratio mentioned for the babbasu and magnesium but I'm not sure what the former numbers represent?

I am looking for it and can not find decent price, how much you guys pay for it, My pound of that comes over 30 dollars from Amazon. It is the cheapest
Found it in Canada, pricey though

Last edited:
I found laboratory in Canada got 140 g of Dandelion root powder, and a pound of Mg Hydroxide, will try to do it:) I should have it on Monday :)

I've been catching up on this tonight and I cannot tell uou all how incredibly happy I am right now. This thread was started as a lark and I never expected anything to come of it. I certainly didn't expect such good results for the babassu oil, but combining it with the magnesium hydroxide was sheer genius. I never would have thought of that; I had no idea what magnesium hydroxide was! I'm still using the 50/50 combo with great results. I haven't even bothered to put any essential oils into it because it works so well. Summer is only weeks away and that will be the true test. However, I am proud to tell you that I have not used a commercial deodorant since I started this thread and people still stand close to me.

Although this is strictly a deodorant and not an antiperspirant, I have not been unusually sweaty. But, then again, it's winter (as someone has already pointed out). I'm glad the experiment is working for so many of us and that we're sharing recipes and experiences.

In Canada it is at least double
I just mixed 60 babassu and 40% magnesium. lets see how it works :)

Last edited:
Ok babassu users: how on earth do you get the magnesium hydroxide to stay in suspensionn until the oil hardens up again??

Also, I must have the worst pits anywhere because it seems to *help* but I don't have the luck most of you have reported. Perhaps I need more mag h. I spoon it loosely in so it's about half the container I mix it in, but of course once the oil is added it settles. I probably should measure both ingredients by weight.

Guspuppy- try a 50:50 ratio by weight. Volume-wise to the eyes, a 50:50 ratio by weight looks like you are adding double the amount of magnesium hydroxide as per babassu, and it will easily stay in suspension.

Now that it is getting warm where I live, a 50:50 ratio by weight has been making a lovely, soft, easily-spreadable, thick lotion/creme for me (instead of a hard, difficult-to-spread putty).

IrishLass :)

Thank you IL! I suspected the volume/weight might be my problem. I just made a batch (I use a small disposable condiments cup to hold it) and the MH seemed to stay in suspension much better this time. And I think it will actually work for me with more MH in it. That would be lovely. :)

I made 60 Babassu to 40% of magnesium, and it is hard as hell. I am thinking about warming it up and putting somehow in the tube, very hard in the jar ;)

I just mixed babassu oil with MH and poured into deo containers, works like a charm ;) Next I am planing to add 5 % of beeswax 55 oil, 5 beeswax and 40 MH :) will report

If the babassu and MH is very hard, Dahlia, do you expect the beeswax to make the mixture softer perhaps? Or is there an advantage to the beeswax that I'm not thinking of?

Yes, please tell what you are hoping to get out of the beeswax addition to the formula. BTW: since it has been so cold lately, the deodorant is hard as a rock and not quite so easy to apply at the 50/50 oil/magnesium hydroxide combination. However, I keep the bathroom door closed at night so it stays warm in there for my morning shower and the deodorant is the perfect softness to apply after being in there. For those having issues with it being too hard, try putting it near your heater or vent overnight or while you shower. I know when the weather gets warmer, I'll have no issues at all with the product being too hard. I might have to add some beeswax myself during the summer months.

Latest posts

Back