Measuring a batch includes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodym

Reaction score
When figuring how much eo/fo per batch do i include the water/lye? Or do you go by just the base oils? Not sure when using the fragrance calculator on the brambleberry site. Thank you!!

In general I base it on the weight of the oils. However, on the BB website they list it as the total weight of your recipe (including lye/water). I cut and pasted the section from their FAQ's below for reference:

Our handy fragrance calculator is an awesome tool to determine the proper amount of fragrance oils and/or essential oils to add to your project. Here is a link to our fragrance calculator: http://www.brambleberry.com/Pages/Fragrance-Calculator.aspx
1.) Enter in what you are making (eg. cold process, melt and pour, lotion, candles etc...)
2.) Enter in how much (in weight) you are planning on making, in total. The ending weight of your entire project (that means the oil+ water + lye.)
3.) Choose the fragrance oil or essential oil you are planning on using.*

In general I base it on the weight of the oils. However, on the BB website they list it as the total weight of your recipe (including lye/water). I cut and pasted the section from their FAQ's below for reference:

Our handy fragrance calculator is an awesome tool to determine the proper amount of fragrance oils and/or essential oils to add to your project. Here is a link to our fragrance calculator: http://www.brambleberry.com/Pages/Fragrance-Calculator.aspx
1.) Enter in what you are making (eg. cold process, melt and pour, lotion, candles etc...)
2.) Enter in how much (in weight) you are planning on making, in total. The ending weight of your entire project (that means the oil+ water + lye.)
3.) Choose the fragrance oil or essential oil you are planning on using.*

Whoa! I'm guessing that FAQ was written by a copywriter who never made soap. The high end of the suggested usage rate on BB for patchouli EO is .8 oz per pound, about what I would use ppo for a strong, long lasting patchouli soap. If using a newbie recipe with 38% water by oil weight, that would be 1.3 oz patchouli EO ppo. Waaay too strong!

As a general rule of thumb, 1oz EO ppo is the max (look up safety guidelines for each first) although I'm wondering now if other soapers use more? Using EOs is a never ending learning process for me. I haven't found any websites/ blogs that consistantly suggest good usage rates for EOs - I guess it all comes down to trial and error.

Last edited:
Whoa! I'm guessing that FAQ was written by a copywriter who never made soap. The high end of the suggested usage rate on BB for patchouli EO is .8 oz per pound, about what I would use ppo for a strong, long lasting patchouli soap. If using a newbie recipe with 38% water by oil weight, that would be 1.3 oz patchouli EO ppo. Waaay too strong!

As a general rule of thumb, 1oz EO ppo is the max (look up safety guidelines for each first) although I'm wondering now if other soapers use more? Using EOs is a never ending learning process for me. I haven't found any websites/ blogs that consistantly suggest good usage rates for EOs - I guess it all comes down to trial and error.

I agree! Way to strong...especially for patchouli which tends to be overpowering to begin with. I do use their fragrance calculator but mainly for FO's and I usually go with a medium scent. EO's are 1 oz max also. However, I am usually blending them so amounts are lowered. Based on BB videos I do think they go heavy on the FO.

Last edited:
Back