?'s for those of you who live/lived in Hawaii

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovedoxies

Reaction score
My bf is seriously considering a job there for a military contractor.

Do you have any opinions favorable or unfavorable of it? Can you easily obtain soap making supplies there and what are the requirements to make soap in that state?

I'll know more in a few days about the exact location of his job and his salary. I will have to work, too but I have no leads at all.

Thanks!

I don't live in HI, but my sister does (Oahu) and loves it. She tells me that the cost of living is much higher. Housing prices are crazy - think CA or NYC plus. Most everything has to be shipped in, so that contributes to higher prices. Shopping and restaurant choices are limited compared to the mainland. Everything is pretty laid back as far as service goes. Chickens/roosters and abandoned cars are a frequent sight. The schools are pretty lousy. And there can be a bit of ethnic tension between haoles (white newcomers) and native hawaiians. Because of the distance, it is harder to get back to the mainland to visit family and friends, although they may be eager to come visit you!

BUT - the scenery is absolutely gorgeous and the climate is great. There is a wonderful mix of cultures and ethnic groups that contribute to the Aloha atmosphere. Hawaii is a pretty cool place to live and experience, even for a short time.

I have no idea about soapmaking in HI, although there are various soapmaking businesses - my sister mailed me some locally made soap. Kukui oil would certainly be easier to get a hold of there. She sent me some of that, too. The soap I made with it is curing before I send her some to try.

Hopefully others will chime in, since I'm just giving second hand thoughts about living there.

Ummm... if you need a personal assitant to accomany you...Im your dude..

I agree with everything ewe said....

I would move there in a second if I had a job out there... I surf so it would be absolute paradise... catch fish from the ocean, have a small garden plot... simple life...

before college i almost moved out there, my friend knows some dude who owns a macadamia nut plantation, i could get free housing if I worked at the farm a few hours a week... sweeeeeetness :)

Thanks ewe and IanT... The BF's job will be in Pearl Harbor. He'll know in April if the company has the contract, if they get the contract he'll have the job.

I don't think he'll even consider buying, a brief glance at real estate made me want to puke. I sure hope he gets a housing allowance in addition to his salary becuase it's going to be tight. If it works out he'll go ahead and set up and I'll take a couple of weeks off work and check it out. I'm terrified to give up a secure (albeit low paying) state job and just take off... but oh well it's HAWAII!!!

ilovedoxies said:
Thanks ewe and IanT... The BF's job will be in Pearl Harbor. He'll know in April if the company has the contract, if they get the contract he'll have the job.

I don't think he'll even consider buying, a brief glance at real estate made me want to puke. I sure hope he gets a housing allowance in addition to his salary becuase it's going to be tight. If it works out he'll go ahead and set up and I'll take a couple of weeks off work and check it out. I'm terrified to give up a secure (albeit low paying) state job and just take off... but oh well it's HAWAII!!!

lol exactly!! :) its beautiful... just be respectful... the "we grew here, your flew here" attitude is quite dominant with some of the younger kids... the older ones are chill, but the younger generation can be quite ...how shall I say, ignorant?

Latest posts

Back