Sticky Soap (Oatmeal Heavy)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymy

Reaction score
Greetings!

I have a year old oatmeal bars that I made last year and I didn't know that "snail" slime is going to be trending now in Asia. I happened to try my soap today and shockingly it turned out to produce creamy and slimy bubble. I'm so happy. Based on your experience, is there any other technique that I could do to increase the "slime" in the lather?

Castille bars provide "slime" in the lather but take a minimum of 6-12 months before fully cured. I believe oleic acid is what causes it but someone might chime in with a further explanation. Off the top of my head: olive, canola, and sunflower might contribute to the slime but it's been a while since I've looked at the fatty acid profiles

Greetings!

I have a year old oatmeal bars that I made last year and I didn't know that "snail" slime is going to be trending now in Asia. I happened to try my soap today and shockingly it turned out to produce creamy and slimy bubble. I'm so happy. Based on your experience, is there any other technique that I could do to increase the "slime" in the lather?

Interesting question - I've never thought of increasing the slime!

I make mostly olive oil soaps - no animal fats, no palm, so slime is what I get if I don't work hard to make my oleic-acid-heavy soaps more soluable and bubbly.

Which probably means that increasing the oils containing oleic acid (like olive, sweet almond and avocado), cutting back on solvents (like sugars) and not including much, if any, bubble-making coconut or babussa might work. Castor seems to increase slime feel in my olive soaps if I put to much in too.

Please let us know how you go!

Castille bars provide "slime" in the lather but take a minimum of 6-12 months before fully cured. I believe oleic acid is what causes it but someone might chime in with a further explanation. Off the top of my head: olive, canola, and sunflower might contribute to the slime but it's been a while since I've looked at the fatty acid profiles

waiting ain't my best habit so I try to avoid castille :p andddd you hit the spot! I did use canola, palm, rice bran and sunflower. Maybe by increasing the amount of oatmeal would help?

Interesting question - I've never thought of increasing the slime!

I make mostly olive oil soaps - no animal fats, no palm, so slime is what I get if I don't work hard to make my oleic-acid-heavy soaps more soluable and bubbly.

Which probably means that increasing the oils containing oleic acid (like olive, sweet almond and avocado), cutting back on solvents (like sugars) and not including much, if any, bubble-making coconut or babussa might work. Castor seems to increase slime feel in my olive soaps if I put to much in too.

Please let us know how you go!

interesting....olive and castor seem easy to get over here. avocado and almond are rare though. I'll try to adjust the recipe and include castor and olive too. :)

I did use canola, palm, rice bran and sunflower. Maybe by increasing the amount of oatmeal would help?

Yes!

I made a high olive oil soap without oatmeal, and remade the same recipe with oatmeal (that I ground to a powder, soaked and then strained to avoid particles) and honey.

They are both in my bathroom at the moment, so I did a quick test - the oatmeal and honey version has a lot more slime to it.

Latest posts

Back