Sodium Citrate vs EDTA

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The entire range of suggested dosages I've found is what Earlene reported -- 0.05% to 4%. The typical dosage used is around 0.5%. I explain all this in my article.

I personally have tried 1% to 3% and found the extra EDTA is not helpful. EDTA also reacts with the lye so larger amounts will cause the soap batter to have a pudding like texture that can be hard to work with.

I strongly suggest sticking with no more than 0.5% max for soap scum control and rancidity reduction. If a little works as well as more, then stick with the lowest effective dosage.

If your scale is too imprecise to measure this correctly as powder, then make a dilute solution of EDTA so you have bigger weights to measure. That will reduce the margin of error. Or put a new scale in your budget?

I have not experienced the pudding stage so I guess I have not overshot too much the target,

A new scale is in the works, but I think I'll just use a dilution. One less thing to weight on soaping day :mrgreen:

Back