Palm oil... trying my patience and perseverance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven8soap

Reaction score
Bought some palm oil. Have made 2 batches with it and I have to say... I'm going to lose it. I may whip up some plain, boring bars with it to give away, but this stuff just sucks. I have to mix with the whisk to prevent it from going to heavy trace. I must say, the smell is a bit better with the palm, but I've made so many batches with lard that the way palm works has been infinitely frustrating. I may keep it for sculpted layers, but I'm really at a loss. Has anyone else had this problem? There's probably already a thread on this, so feel free to link to it. Thank you.

Bought some palm oil. Have made 2 batches with it and I have to say... I'm going to lose it. I may whip up some plain, boring bars with it to give away, but this stuff just sucks. I have to mix with the whisk to prevent it from going to heavy trace. I must say, the smell is a bit better with the palm, but I've made so many batches with lard that the way palm works has been infinitely frustrating. I may keep it for sculpted layers, but I'm really at a loss. Has anyone else had this problem? There's probably already a thread on this, so feel free to link to it. Thank you.

Can you provide the recipe you used? I'm not a hug fan of palm and would take beef tallow in a heartbeat but palm can give you a decent soap if you don't over use it.

I have to say, I really want to use lard but I can't treat lard soaps as a universal soap the way I can all my others. I kinda envy you guys who can fully enjoy lard soaps.

Last edited:
This does not sound encouraging. My BF's mom has asked me if I would be willing to make her an "African black soap" inspired soap and the bar she sent me is pretty much the ash mix and 100% palm oil. Is this just going to be a headache? :cry:

Last edited:
Much like kchaystack, I really never had an issue with PO (though I do use higher proportions). I agree with Arimara that the recipe is needed to figure out the problem. In addition, were you stick blending for a long time or just long enough to incorporate?

I use palm with lard at times and all my vegan soaps are made with 40% palm. It will up trace but I cut the castor to 3%, with sunflower, canola or avocado for the soft oils and a 10-20% olive oil. I bring it just to emulsification and work fairly fast. It does trace faster than lard but is still workable for swirling. I normally soap with 33% lye concentration and heat the oils until clear, then I use my room temp lye.

This does not sound encouraging. My BF's mom has asked me if I would be willing to make her an "African black soap" inspired soap and the bar she sent me is pretty much the ash mix and 100% palm oil. Is this just going to be a headache? :cry:
ABS soap is not 100% palm, it also contains a healthy amount of raw shea and most likely high palm kernel oil because it is a high lathering soap. Can I ask why you do not just purchase your mom some true ABS soap? I know I have mentioned this many times but I am still the purest in some things and I think ABS soap should be true ABS soap from the tribes and is easily purchased on Amazon. I do not know the cost because I purchase mine from an importer. In my opinion the best quality ABS is the dark mottled brown, instead of the light to tan color. Dudu Osun soap is a manufactured ABS in Africa, not straight from a tribe. Dudu Osun is made with Shea, Camwood, PKO and honey

Can I ask why you do not just purchase your mom some true ABS soap? I know I have mentioned this many times but I am still the purest in some things and I think ABS soap should be true ABS soap from the tribes...

You're definitely more than welcome to ask, I wish it was a simple answer. My boyfriend's mom in some cases is less about the real thing and more about the fact she feels loved by the efforts put in.

On a recent trip to Florida she discovered a locally made soap called African Black Soap. According to my research it's certainly not imported, and not authentic... But she loves it and when she discovered I'm learning how to make soap, asked if I could make her some.

So, here I am..

Can you provide the recipe you used? I'm not a hug fan of palm and would take beef tallow in a heartbeat but palm can give you a decent soap if you don't over use it.

I have to say, I really want to use lard but I can't treat lard soaps as a universal soap the way I can all my others. I kinda envy you guys who can fully enjoy lard soaps.

For 4 lbs of oil, used lye calc...

I used 25% palm 1 lb
25% coconut oil
15% lard,
15% olive oil,
10% avocado oil
10% grapeseed oil
At 5% super fat ...

I added colors mixed with extra olive oil,

Then I super fatted some more with about an ounce of castor. I soaped at about 125, with 30% oil weight in water, which is more than I like to use. No sodium chloride in the water, same tap water I normally use(no problems). I also add silk to the soap, but it's never impacted it before.

Arimara, I am terribly sorry you can't use tallow. It's really pretty special. I wonder why it bothers you?

Arimara, I am terribly sorry you can't use tallow. It's really pretty special. I wonder why it bothers you?

Tallow, I can use. Lard is the offender. :p

Also asfar as the recipe goes, even though you may not have had problems before, the water can still be an issue where the palm is concerned. The more pressing thing for me, however is that you soaped at 125 F? That is more likely to be speeding up your trace... Unless I'm mixing something up. Have you tried soaping around 110 or 115 for you oils at least?

Tallow, I can use. Lard is the offender. :p

Also asfar as the recipe goes, even though you may not have had problems before, the water can still be an issue where the palm is concerned. The more pressing thing for me, however is that you soaped at 125 F? That is more likely to be speeding up your trace... Unless I'm mixing something up. Have you tried soaping around 110 or 115 for you oils at least?

Palm's melting point is around 95 degrees, so I think that's why most people suggesting soaping at a bit of a higher temperature with it. If you're using room temp lye water you might cool it down too much at 110 and get false trace.

Palm's melting point is around 95 degrees, so I think that's why most people suggesting soaping at a bit of a higher temperature with it. If you're using room temp lye water you might cool it down too much at 110 and get false trace.

I guess I've always had good luck. I've I usually make sure the lye and the oils are around the same temps. Sure it's more effort but I haven't had palm seize on me and my recipes had 35% palm. I just wish I had noted the temps I made those batches. I can't even test my suggestion out either.

Back