Need EO Blend for Lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished up my second batch of Arnica, Argan and meadowfoam face lotion today with Orange Blossom Water and trying to decide on a good beneficial eo blend. I will probably have the eo less sandalwood and rose.

I just finished up my second batch of Arnica, Argan and meadowfoam face lotion today with Orange Blossom Water and trying to decide on a good beneficial eo blend. I will probably have the eo less sandalwood and rose.

When I design EO blends, I like to think of a "target" and work to that.

A simple blend of lavender, rose hip and rosemary EO's does well for general skin health and is mild enough for most people.

Last edited:
My first thought was one of those "energy" blends, but that whole light and citrus thing might be an issue.

Outside of that my go to blend is 2 parts lavender to 1 part tee tree (they're also the only ones I currently have). Replacing the lavender with 1.5 parts mint also works well to mimic that energized feel. I also recently picked up a wild sage hydrosol which is labeled as a toner for acne prone skin, it's a nice scent change from the perfumes or florals that seem prevalent in commercial facial products.

Oh my! I'd choose a very subtle amount of a pure, pleasing lavender -- nothing too herbal or floral, which admittedly is hard to come by. So happens I have some, waiting for such occasion because I am fearful to wash it all down the drain before my eyes even open.

My second choice would be a lavender:rose:geranium blend -- maybe 2:2:1. Again, just a faint whisp to leave the skin longing, not languishing. It would be easy to overdo but in the right ratio and amount you could reach nirvana.

Wish I was closer to purchase. I have no doubt you will conjure and balance to the perfect solution. Go get 'er!

I agree with lavender, and it blends well with just about everything. I'd try geranium or maybe a hint of mint.

Is this just for yourself, or is it something you want to sell? If selling, it's good to note that rosemary shouldn't be used during pregnancy. Since I think you are around my age, I'm going to take the liberty to assume you aren't pregnant so it would be fine for your own use.

Oh my! I'd choose a very subtle amount of a pure, pleasing lavender -- nothing too herbal or floral, which admittedly is hard to come by. So happens I have some, waiting for such occasion because I am fearful to wash it all down the drain before my eyes even open.

My second choice would be a lavender:rose:geranium blend -- maybe 2:2:1. Again, just a faint whisp to leave the skin longing, not languishing. It would be easy to overdo but in the right ratio and amount you could reach nirvana.

Wish I was closer to purchase. I have no doubt you will conjure and balance to the perfect solution. Go get 'er!
I was thinking a little rose geranium. I still may go with none since the Tamanu smells so nice on it's own. I am going to play with a few and see. It is a really nice lotion with Argan, Arnica infused in OO, Tamanu, Meadowfoam and a small percentage of dimethicone, so it does not need a lot

I agree with lavender, and it blends well with just about everything. I'd try geranium or maybe a hint of mint.

Is this just for yourself, or is it something you want to sell? If selling, it's good to note that rosemary shouldn't be used during pregnancy. Since I think you are around my age, I'm going to take the liberty to assume you aren't pregnant so it would be fine for your own use.
I sell and do not use rosemary in lotions. I get bored with Lavender, but did make a oil free Spearmint Lavender Lotion tonight. It smells nice

Looove Tamanu and Meadowfoam, they're wonderful applied directly to the skin. Can't imagine how nice they must be in a lotion!

If you do end up selling this lotion, an unscented version would be lovely... I personally don't like any scents in my facial products. Body products on the other hand - I don't mind a little scent. I lean towards bright/citrusy with a hint of mint or basil. Not a huge floral/lavender fan.

I don't have any help about the EO scent, Carolyn, but I was wondering about your use of arnica in a face lotion. I have a couple of newbie questions about that, but I absolutely understand if you prefer to not answer -- you work hard to develop your products, and I don't want to steal any of your thunder! :)

I just started to use arnica to relieve pain and swelling in my ankle due to an injury. I've been using a commercial aloe-based gel for that purpose, not crafting a product of my own. I'm surprised at how well the arnica works, so I'm thinking I need to dig into this more. What advantages does arnica offer when used in a face lotion? I've not thought to use arnica that way.

Also, are you infusing the arnica in the water phase or the oil phase? Or using a commercial extract?

Thank you!

I don't have any help about the EO scent, Carolyn, but I was wondering about your use of arnica in a face lotion. I have a couple of newbie questions about that, but I absolutely understand if you prefer to not answer -- you work hard to develop your products, and I don't want to steal any of your thunder! :)

I just started to use arnica to relieve pain and swelling in my ankle due to an injury. I've been using a commercial aloe-based gel for that purpose, not crafting a product of my own. I'm surprised at how well the arnica works, so I'm thinking I need to dig into this more. What advantages does arnica offer when used in a face lotion? I've not thought to use arnica that way.

Also, are you infusing the arnica in the water phase or the oil phase? Or using a commercial extract?

Thank you!
I infused it in Olive Olive oil. I took info from Susan's blog and used 1 part arnica to 5 parts oil. I went by weight. My lotion is 2.5% of this infused oil. It supposedly has some properties to help eczema and as we know inflammation. My daughter fights Rosacea and we are curious what it will do when she has a flare. Also my eczema flares, gets red and hot, I want to see how or if the lotion affects it. I am still in the testing of some that I made Feb 4th. So far it has caused me no irritation and I am not a user of lotion on my face, but have not been using it everyday. I am going to use it everyday for at least 2 week. I know my sister loves it. Will be giving some to my daughter in the next few days to test. In my mentholated arnica balm I use the same infusion at the 15% rate. Between you me and the lamppost, I wanted the label appeal of the Arnica. Sadly, many people who purchase at my market seem to think Arnica is good for everything and I am up against a girl that has the "Magic Arnica Balm". She has a litany of information about what Arnica heals on her banner. Makes it hard for me, since I do not make claims.

BTW she was most un-happy to see I had Arnica Balm for sale last Wed. Sadly hers all melted and mine did not according to a vendor friend across from her.

Plumeria maybe is a closer match to Orange Blossom/Rose Geranium, but it is another problematic one for pregnancy and children, as much as it is adored in some circles here.

Last edited:
Many thanks, Carolyn -- I appreciate the info. It gives me something to go on to try my own concoction. I was skeptical about arnica before I tried it ... but there really is something to it.

Many thanks, Carolyn -- I appreciate the info. It gives me something to go on to try my own concoction. I was skeptical about arnica before I tried it ... but there really is something to it.
So far I have been using it twice a day on my face and quite like it. Well, as much as I like lotion on my face. Since I am really not a person that likes lotions, especially on my face, I figured I am a good tester especially with my eczema problems. So far it is still un-fragranced except for the hint of fragrance the Tamanu gives and the light green color. It is not irritating yet, well see how it goes by next week.

Thankyou all for the scenting ideas

I need to preface my suggestions with a confession; I hate lavender (shhh...don't tell anyone). I also have a strong antipathy for its camphorous/medicinal brethren (tea tree). Most musks and florals are banned from entering my house (except when I'm obligated to make things for OTHER people).

With that caveat in mind, here are some suggestions:
chamomile and neroli
palmarosa and basil
lemongrass and mint
ylang ylang and rosewood or sage

If you don't have any allergies to flowers, Neroli and Roman Camomile might be wonderful.

Good oils for skin include - Cucumber extract, Carrot Seed, Rosehip, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Frankincense, Lavender, Chamomile, Rosewood, Rose Geranium, Neroli, Lemongrass, Orange (though don't use much, just a little for the vitamin C).

Expensive but excellent include Rose, Jasmine, and Helichrysum. You might find those better in hydrosol form.

You can do a blend of

4 drops Sandalwood
2 drops Patchouli
2 drops Carrot Seed
3 drops Bergamot FCF (FCF means furanocoumarin-free) or Neroli
2 drops Spikenard
2 Tablespoons carrier oil/lotion (minimum)

You already have the carrier, just make sure you shake before use as sometimes essential oils will separate in lotions without an emusifier.

I need to preface my suggestions with a confession; I hate lavender (shhh...don't tell anyone). I also have a strong antipathy for its camphorous/medicinal brethren (tea tree). Most musks and florals are banned from entering my house (except when I'm obligated to make things for OTHER people).

With that caveat in mind, here are some suggestions:
chamomile and neroli
palmarosa and basil
lemongrass and mint
ylang ylang and rosewood or sage
I just might try the palmarosa and basil. I love basil. Lemongrass and mint it always good. I absolutely hate Ylang Ylang :) although I have not tried it with sage

I was thinking a little rose geranium. I still may go with none since the Tamanu smells so nice on it's own. I am going to play with a few and see. It is a really nice lotion with Argan, Arnica infused in OO, Tamanu, Meadowfoam and a small percentage of dimethicone, so it does not need a lot
That sounds like a top drawer facial lotion, Carolyn. I've never used arnica or tamanu in anything, but I've heard good things about them... you know how it goes... once you find something you like, why change?! :-? And I do like my lotions.

If you have rose geranium, you might like a Rainbow Meadows blend that has:

2 rose geranium
1 palmarosa
1 rosewood

You can play around with the numbers to suit your nose. I do a tweak and call it my Bridge Ladies blend because it's light & lovely... not "in-your-face"... but a subtle waft that I always get compliments on when I use it in hand lotion. For my face cream, it gives me a lift when I put it on and it doesn't make me gag. I like that.

Back